Make An Advising Appointment

Newly Admitted Students

If you have not been formally admitted to the University of the Incarnate Word, please contact the admissions office at (210) 829-6005.

Transfer Orientation

A Transfer Orientation normally starts off with a presentation by the Academic Counselors from the University Advising Center. They will introduce you to various campus services and your degree requirements. You will receive a degree plan from them during the session and will be advised on what classes you need to complete and will be assisted in finding them. The session takes place in a computer lab so to make sure each student has access to a computer, guests are not allowed. If you have your meningitis vaccination and do not have any holds, you will be able to register during this session.

Register for a group advising session

Freshmen Orientation

(As listed on the First Year Engagement webpage)

During our one-day Orientation session, you will have the opportunity to participate in activities designed to help familiarize you with our campus and prepare you for classes here at Incarnate Word. The program includes advising, registration, academic sessions and many more informative activities.

Orientation is required for Freshmen and optional for Transfer Students. Summer Orientation programming will take place from 9:00am - 5:00pm.

Due to safety regulations and fire codes we ask that you limit the number of guests that are accompanying you to orientation to two.

Register for an Orientation

For Current Students

Prior to scheduling an appointment for Advising, the front office staff will verify the following:

  1. Have you contacted your Faculty Advisor?
    • Your Faculty Advisor is your primary advisor, they specialize in your major and are here to advise you for registration, internships, career advice and to guide you through the completion of your degree. The Academic Counselors at the UAC serve as your secondary advisor. If there is a question that your Faculty Advisor is unable to answer then your Faculty Advisor would refer you to an Academic Counselor at the UAC.
    • Contacting your advisor would constitute all of the following: emailing, calling and leaving a message, going by the Faculty Advisor's office during their office hours (office hours are normally posted on their doors).
  2. Has your Faculty Advisor given you your alternate pin?
    • Only your Faculty Advisor can give you your alternate pin.
    • If you have recently changed your major, the advisor that is listed as your primary advisor in BannerWeb will have your pin.
  3. Have you done a degree audit through Degree Works in BannerWeb?

If you are scheduling an appt to discuss a change of major, the front office staff will verify the following:

  1. Have you done a what if analysis through Degree Works in BannerWeb?
    • A what if analysis gives you the opportunity to filter the courses that you have completed so far into the degree plan for the major of your choice.
    • Doing a what if analysis through Degree Works gives you an idea of when you would be able to graduate if you change your major and what courses you would have left to complete.
  2. Have you talked to Career Services?
    • The Office of Career Services and Professional Development offers individual career counseling, personality and career assessment, career related workshops, etc.
    • To get more information go to the Career Services website.

If you have prepared accordingly for each scenario listed above, please contact our office by phone at: (210) 805-5814 or by email at: to set up an appointment.

Academic advising provides you with the opportunity to build a professional relationship with your Faculty advisor. In the University Advising Center, academic advising is a collaborative educational process whereby you and your advisor are partners in ensuring your academic success and outlining the steps for the achievement of your personal, academic, and career goals. This partnership is multifaceted and ongoing, requiring the participation of both you and your advisor throughout your education. Both the student and the advisor have clear responsibilities for ensuring the advising partnership is successful.

While University faculty and staff members give students academic advice and assistance, each student is expected to take responsibility for his or her education and personal development. The student must know and abide by the academic and disciplinary policies given in the Undergraduate catalog including rules governing quantity of work, the standard of work required to continue in the University, scholastic probation and dismissal, and enforced withdrawal. The student must also know and meet the requirements of his or her degree program, including the University's basic education requirements; must enroll in courses appropriate to the program; must meet prerequisites and take courses in the proper sequence to ensure orderly and timely progress; and must seek advice about degree requirements and other University policies when necessary.

Ultimately, you are responsible for seeking adequate academic advice, for knowing and meeting degree requirements, and for enrolling in appropriate courses to ensure orderly and timely progress toward a degree.

Office Hours

Monday - Friday | 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Contact Us

Student Engagement Center (SEC)
Room 3120
4301 Broadway CPO #286
San Antonio, TX 78209

(210) 805-5814