First-Year Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to the start of your Cardinal journey! As a first-year student, we know you may have many questions as you transition into your first year in college. Please use the FAQs listed below to help you navigate this great adventure. If you do not find the answer to your question(s), please do not hesitate to contact our office at 210-805-3006 or email Dr. Diana Sanchez, Director of First-Year Engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need guidance in choosing the right classes, please contact your Advisor or the Director of First-Year Engagement. You can contact the Director of First-Year Engagement at email@example.com or 210-805-3006. Please read the add/drop form carefully before you make any changes.
Please follow the instructions provided on the Registrar's website.
Registrar Waitlist Information: https://my.uiw.edu/registrar/registration-information/waitlist-information.html
It is important that you sign-up for tutoring as soon as possible. If you know that you experience challenges in certain subjects, it is best that you secure tutoring at the beginning of the year. Below you will find the necessary information to sign up for tutoring.
Tutoring Information: https://my.uiw.edu/tutoringservices/index.html
Requests for accommodations are confidential. The Office of Student Disability Services is ready to help and support you. Please find the necessary information outlined on their website.
Student Disability Services: https://my.uiw.edu/sds/index.html
Parking is an essential part of your day while attending classes. Please plan accordingly when you are driving onto campus. If you have a 7:30 am class, you should try to arrive on campus by 7:00 am. Arriving at least 30 minutes before your class will give you the opportunity to park and catch a shuttle to the front of campus. Below you can find additional information related to parking and shuttle services.
Parking/Shuttle Information: https://my.uiw.edu/police/parking.html
UIW offers several options for dining services for commuters. You can load your meal plan through Cardinal Apps. You have the option of purchasing a board meal plan or dining dollars. More information is listed below.
Commuter Meal Plan Information: https://uiwdining.sodexomyway.com/my-meal-plan
Below you will find the many locations on campus where you can take a break in between classes.
- Student Engagement Center (SEC)
- "The Landing" SEC 3065 (Opening Soon): This lounge will have a microwave, coffee maker, snacks, and activities.
- Red's Game Room: The game room is located on the SEC Basement Level. Red's offers a shuffleboard, pool tables, ping pong table, and video games.
- Seating Areas: You can find many seating areas in the SEC. For your convenience, the seating areas are listed below.
- 1st floor: Outside the bookstore, Starbucks, and across the Welcome Center
- 2nd floor: across 2150 and next to 2034
- 3rd Floor: across 3150 and 3120
- The Library offers several quiet areas and study rooms. Study rooms are available upon request. You can also find tables in the lobby area of the Library where you can enjoy your lunch.
- Dubuis Lawn
- When the weather cools down, you can enjoy the outdoors and relax with friends at the picnic tables.
- Friendship Garden (Located near Clement Hall and Agnese/Sosa):
- Enjoy a shaded area with picnic tables and meet new friends
- Westgate Circle (Located in the center of the Library, SEC, and Dubuis Hall)
- A great place to meet new friends and hang out in between classes.
UIW Health Services is located in the back area of the Agnese/Sosa parking garage. The clinic offers medical services to UIW students. Please find additional information on their website.
Health Services Website: https://my.uiw.edu/health/index.html