The Carlos and Malú Alvarez Endowed Student Scholarship
The Carlos and Malú Alvarez Endowed Student Scholarship provides UIW Honors students a pathway to excellence to become the uncommon leaders and problem solvers of tomorrow. Alvarez Scholars will apply their award to activities and offerings which enhance their educational experience and open doors to post-graduate opportunities. Examples include but are not limited to:
- study abroad
- career mentoring seminars and guidance
- financial support for summer internships, research fellowships
- presentations at conferences/meetings
- service learning experiences
- preparation for graduation/professional school including guidance in applying for prestigious fellowships and scholarships.
When fully established, the Carlos and Malú Alvarez Endowment will benefit a cohort of ten disadvantaged and deserving students each year by providing career mentoring, financial literacy education, financial support for summer internship/research opportunities and study abroad, and post-graduate preparation.
Students will receive awards of up to $4,000 per year, renewable for up to four years as a supplement to regular merit and need-based financial aid.
The criteria for selecting Alvarez Scholars include:
- Incoming freshmen
- All disciplines are eligible; particular emphasis will be placed on math and science majors as well as students planning careers in public service
- Financial need
- A strong work ethic and an intense desire to succeed
- Application to and membership in the UIW Honors Program
Application and Selection Process
Applications are now being accepted for the Alvarez Endowed Scholarship. The deadline for completed applications is Friday, May 1, 2020, and they may be emailed directly to the Honors Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications to the Honors Program may be submitted in conjunction with the scholarship application. Please use the Inquiry Form to request an Honors Program application and to pose any questions you may have.
The Selection Committee will review applications to determine a roster of finalists for a phone interview. From those results, they will select the ten winners.