General Technology and Software Purchase Requests
Effective Date: June 1, 2016 / Updated Jan 1, 2021
Contact: Chris Nelson , Technology Purchasing and Logistics Coordinator
The General Technology and Software Purchase Request policy provides for a central and consistent purchasing of technology devices and software. This allows the University to take advantage of existing partnerships to reduce costs and ensure that the devices and solutions we employ for University purposes are widely manageable by our support teams.
Generally speaking, technology items require the approval of the Technology Purchasing and Logistics Coordinator prior to being purchased using University funds. This process applies to technology items that are not desktop or laptop computers (and related workstation peripherals), as those devices are managed under the Computer Refresh Program.
Exclusions to this are audiovisual items such as digital displays, conference/meeting room equipment, or specialty audiovisual equipment such as broadcast and recording equipment, photography equipment, and the like. Items of this nature should be submitted to the Instructional Technology team at ITS@uiwtx.edu for review and handling.
Printers are also excluded from the scope of this policy. The University operates a centrally managed printer program, which provides for common area printers in lieu of separate units in various offices. All printers are maintained and operated through this arrangement. As a result, IT does not support the acquisition and maintenance of individual desktop printers and the associated supplies such as toner.
The provisioning of technology devices as managed under the Computer Refresh Program is limited to computing workstations, to include a single computer per individual and the associated workstation bundle. Additional non computer-specific tools need to be sourced using the requesting department’s budget. To ensure a more direct and sensible encumbrance of funding, purchase requisitions for the additional equipment should be entered into Banner by the requesting department.
The process for procuring devices outside of the scope of the computing workstation bundles should flow as follows:
- The requesting department contacts the Technology Purchasing and Logistics Coordinator to obtain a quote for the required equipment. The current contact for this is Chris Nelson, (210) 829-3844 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upon receipt of the requested quote, the department’s administrative staff will enter a purchase requisition into Banner for a purchase order to be created for the item(s).
- After the purchase requisition passes through the appropriate approvals in Banner and a PO is created, the departmental administrator will email the PO back to the Technology Purchasing staff member.
- The Technology Purchasing staff member will finalize the order with the vendor, manage the physical receipt of the equipment, and hand the item(s) off to the department once received.
- Purchases of general technology utilizing dissertation or grant funding follow the same process outlined above.
For examples on common items that are included in this process, see the following table.
|IT-Funded and Managed||Department Funded|
|Desktop and Laptop Computers||Device Cases, Sleeves, Carrying Bags|
|Docking Stations||iPads, Tablets, or e-Readers|
|Primary Computer Monitor (single per workstation)||Secondary Computer Monitor|
|Keyboards and Mice||Webcams|
|Flash Drives or External Hard Drives|
|Headphones or Headsets|
|Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)|
|and other similar devices…|
All requests for new software, including requests for additional licenses to an existing software, need to be reviewed by our Instructional Technology and/or our Enterprise Applications teams prior to purchase and implementation. Please utilize the UIW Software Request form to submit requests for new software.
Software purchase requests could include, but are not limited to, new enterprise tools, new department-specific tools, or new instructional software tools.