Borrowing Books Open
- To borrow materials from the UIW libraries, library users must have a valid UIW ID for the current semester and a record free of library fines. Generally, borrowing privileges are terminated when a student withdraws from school. Materials cannot be checked out to students and community borrowers who are not the person presenting the ID. To determine if one is an affiliated patron, please read our Visitor’s Policy.
- Items are due on the date (date/time for Reserves) indicated on the receipt or in one's personal circulation record found called MyAccount.
- Faculty may designate proxy borrowers (student assistants) to check out materials from the library on their behalf by filling out a proxy borrowing form. For more information go to Faculty Services page and find Proxy Borrowing.
Visitor Borrowing - TexShare Card Open
- Students enrolled at institutions of higher learning in Texas can obtain a TexShare borrowing card at their home library. TexShare card holders are entitled to limited borrowing privileges at other libraries
- UIW is a member of this statewide consortium of academic, public and special libraries. To learn more, go to TexShare.
Reserve Collection Circulation Open
- Faculty often put personal or library materials on reserve. Reserves are available at the Circulation Desk. Loan periods may vary depending upon the constraints set by the faculty member.
Audiovisual Collection Circulation Open
- Audiovisual materials (DVDs, videotapes, CDs, etc.) are located on the second-floor in the quiet study and bound journals area. These items can be checked out at the Circulation Desk.
Loan Periods by Borrower and Item Type Open
|Borrower Type||Maximum Items||Item Types||Loan Period|
|Undergraduate Students 1||50 5||Books||3 weeks|
|Graduate Students 1||100 5||Books||4 weeks|
|Faculty, Faculty Emeriti, UIW Administrators||100 2||Books||End of semester|
|UIW Staff||8 2||Books||3 weeks|
|IWHS/SACHS Students and Faculty||8 2||Books||3 weeks|
|UIW Retirement Center Residents||8 2||Books||3 weeks|
|UIW Alumni 3||4 2||Books||3 weeks|
|TexShare 4||4 2||Books||3 weeks|
|ELS Students||4 2||Books||3 weeks|
|ELS Faculty||8 2||Books||3 weeks|
|UIW Students, UIW Retirement, Staff, IWHS/SACHS Faculty, ELS Students & Faculty||3 5||AV||7 days|
|UIW Faculty||Unlimited 5||AV||7 days|
|Undergraduate & Graduate Students||1 2||Tablet||3 Days|
|UIW Faculty & Staff||1 2||Laptop||7 days|
- Includes Main Campus, ADCaP, and UIW Online students
- UIW Alumni ID and driver’s license required
- With valid TexShare card and school ID or driver’s license
- One renewal
Renewing Books Open
- Books that are not overdue, have not been recalled, or have not been placed on hold for other borrowers can be renewed by undergraduate and graduate students.
- Books may be renewed online using MyAccount, by phone (210-829-3836) or when presented at the Circulation Desk.
Returning Items Open
- The borrower bears the full responsibility for returning materials on time.
- Return materials to the Circulation Desk during library hours.
- When the library is closed, please return books only to the book drop located near the entrance to the library.
- Do not drop off audiovisual or interlibrary loan items in the book drop.
Fines and Fees
Lost/Damaged Materials Open
- An overdue item is declared lost when it has accrued the maximum overdue fine. The borrower is assessed the replacement cost and the maximum overdue fine.
- If the materials that have been declared lost are returned to the library before a new copy is purchased by the library, only the replacement cost is refunded.
- The fine is not refundable.
- When an item is damaged beyond repair,the borrower is assessed the replacement cost of the item.
Overdue Fines Open
- The library is not responsible for notifying borrowers of overdue materials. As a courtesy, the library sends one overdue notice via UIW email, but is not responsible for late, lost or non-deliverable notices. The borrower is responsible for checking their UIW email account and making sure that the library has their current local mailing address.
- It may be useful to occasionally check the due date of items that have been borrowed. To do this online, log into MyAccount on the library’s website.
|Item Type||Fine per Day/Hour||Maximum Fine|
|3 or 4-week materials||$.50 per day||$10 per item 1|
|1-week and 2-day materials||$1 per day||$20 per item 1|
|2, 3 and 4-hour materials 4||$.50 per hour||$20 per item|
|Audiovisuals||$1 per day||$20 per item|
- When the item reaches the maximum fine amount, the library user will be charged the maximum overdue fine and the cost of the item.
- Items with holds placed on them will accrue fines after the original due date.
- Recalled items will accrue an inflated overdue fine after the due date.
- Includes group study and graduate study room keys.