May 2020 Commencement FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
Please note, only students who have applied for graduation are receiving information directly from the Registrar’s Office. If you intend to complete your program this semester, please visit BannerWeb to apply for graduation.
December Commencement Participation
Students who have applied for May 2020 and August 2020 graduation will be sent information containing a link for them to opt-in to the December 2020 commencement ceremony. Students must submit their request to participate by September 1, 2020.
Alternatively, students can access the request form directly through the December 2020 Commencement Participation Request on this page and indicate their participation request there.
Yes, all graduating students will receive access to participate in the virtual ceremony. More information about this will be emailed to you directly.
We will do our best to give every graduate as many tickets as possible. At this time, we cannot estimate the number of tickets that each student will receive as we do not know the numbers that will be participating. Ticket numbers will be determined in mid-fall 2020.
Yes, your degree will still be conferred in May 2020. Additionally your diploma will be mailed to you upon completion of your program. You will not have to wait until after the December ceremony to receive your diploma. If you walk-the-stage in December, you will receive the same token as all other graduates.
Log into Banner Self Service. Click on Personal Information. Click on Update Address(es) and Phone(s)
To update an existing address, click the link next to the corresponding address.
To insert a new address, select the address type from the drop-down list at the bottom of the page and then click insert.
UIW’s Virtual Commencement Ceremonies will be held on Saturday, May 30, 2020. On this date, UIW will celebrate commencement for all schools and programs. Please see information below:
- 4:00 PM - Virtual commencement ceremony for undergraduate and graduate/doctoral students of the following schools/programs:
- College of Humanities Arts and Social Sciences
- Dreeben School of Education
- H-E-B School of Business and Administration
- Ila Faye Miller School of Nursing and Health Professions
- School of Optometry – Undergraduate Program ONLY
- School of Mathematics, Science and Engineering
- School of Media and Design
- School of Osteopathic Medicine – Graduate Program ONLY
- School of Professional Studies
- 6:00 PM - Virtual commencement ceremony for the following schools:
- Feik School of Pharmacy
- Rosenberg School of Optometry
- School of Physical Therapy
Yes, all ceremonies that had been slated for May 8 and 9 will now take place online. This includes the Feik School of Pharmacy, School of Physical Therapy and Rosenberg School of Optometry and the Masters of Biomedical Science – School of Osteopathic Medicine.
Yes, conferral for all students graduating in May 2020 is May 8, 2020. This will be indicated on both transcripts and diplomas.
The virtual ceremony will include every element possible to embody a traditional commencement including presidential address, conferral of degrees and other unique aspects including special slides for each graduate. Graduates will be emailed with instructions to upload your name, a personal message and a photo for your individual “slide”. The ceremony will be live-streamed by the University and on Facebook and the video will also be posted on the UIW website. You should have already received an email with information from the registrar.
All graduates will receive access to view the ceremony online. It is not required to submit your photo or information as a participant. Please note, if you do not respond to the request for participation, you will not have a custom slide.
You should have received an email from the Registrar’s Office the week of April 27. This email included log-in information for Marching Order, the platform being uses to create your personal slide. If you have questions about Marching order, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may submit a photo to include on your slide. This can, but does not have to be, a graduation photo. Consider a photo of yourself on campus or even something taken at home.
- You can also submit a special message. This can be a quote or a “thank you” to someone special.
- Lastly, you will be able to call in to the platform to say your name, to ensure it is read the way you prefer.
- As a note, all messages and photos will be review to ensure that they are appropriate and Mission-friendly.
The deadline is May 17. The platform will be closed after this date and no further submissions can be accepted.
The $50 graduation fee is not associated with the commencement ceremony. The graduation fee is applicable to all graduates (even those who are not participating in a ceremony). The fee covers services including, but not limited to, degree audits and the printing and shipping of diplomas. This fee is non-refundable.
Students who have already applied for May 2020 and August 2020 graduation will not need to submit a new graduation application. However, you will still need to let us know that you want to participate in December. Information on how to do so will be emailed to you.
Students who have not applied for graduation, should apply as soon as possible online through Bannerweb.
The graduation fee will be utilized upon completion of your degree to cover services including, but not limited to, degree audits and the printing and shipping of diplomas. This fee is non-refundable.
The late fee to apply for graduation will be waived for Spring 2020 graduates. If you still need to apply, please visit BannerWeb.
Anyone who already paid a late fee for Spring 2020 graduation we be automatically issued a refund. If there was a balance on the account, the fee will be applied to the balance owed. Otherwise, a refund will be issued.
Cap and Gown
Yes, the deadline to cancel your order has been extended to April 10. Herff Jones sent an email on April 3 to all students who ordered online. You must process your cancellation through their portal (due to volume, phone cancellations are not available). Link for cancellations/change shipping.
Herff Jones is offering free home delivery for all orders. If you need to add or change a shipping address, please do so through their portal. Portal access information was emailed on April 3 to all students who ordered online. Link for cancellations/change shipping.
If you ordered or would like to order a rental cap and gown, Herff Jones will ship your order at no charge and include a pre-paid shipping label for return.
- You can keep your order now or we will email you in the Fall about ordering for the December ceremony.
- Students who would like to have their cap and gown for the virtual ceremony, but have not placed an order, are encouraged to do so as soon as possible so they can take advantage of the free shipping offer. Online ordering through herffjones.com has been extended to April 15th.
- Students who have placed a doctoral regalia rental order online and are planning to participate in the December commencement will have to cancel order through. Another order date will be set up for December commencement.
- Students who are renting regalia through Herff Jones for the May commencement will have two weeks after the virtual commencement to return their rented regalia. If students wish to participate in the December commencement, orders may be placed online in September.
It is not necessary to wear a cap and gown for the virtual ceremony. However, you will have the opportunity to submit a photo of yourself so if you would like to include a photo in your graduation attire, please consider purchasing one for your use.
The Registrar’s Office will determine if you qualify to receive honor cords upon the completion of your program, based on your GPA. If you meet the requirements, honor cords will be mailed to you by the Registrar’s Office around the same timeframe as your diploma.
- If your order has not yet shipped, you may cancel your order with Herff Jones customer service by calling (800) 837-4235.
- Announcements that have been already shipped or delivered are not eligible for return, cancellation or refund.
UIW will offer a virtual baccalaureate blessing that will premiere on Friday, May 29 at 6 p.m. More information will be shared on this page and through email as it becomes available. Additionally, graduates are invited to participate in the December 2020 baccalaureate mass.
Cancellation versus postponement
This was a very difficult decision to make. We understand that this is an event that you have worked hard for and have looked forward to. However, many things were taken into consideration before a final decision was announced. We found that many students may not be able to participate in a rescheduled commencement (due to Visas, employment commitments, housing needs, travel challenges, etc.) and the virtual option offers all the chance to celebrate during the May timeframe. Those who would like to celebrate in person will be offered the next immediate opportunity to do so in December 2020. We cannot be certain when CDC, city and state guidelines for social distancing and prohibitions of large gatherings will change, so any rescheduled date may also be subject to cancelation.
If you have additional questions, please reach out to the Commencement Committee at PR@uiwtx.edu.