An emergency can be defined in many ways, especially when traveling abroad. Emergency situations or topics that require immediate attention while traveling overseas include medical concerns or questions, the need for immediate medical care or legal assistance, being a victim of a crime, and/or being present during a natural disaster.
Rather than trying to define an emergency or an international emergency and regardless of the level of emergency, all international participants are instructed and encouraged to contact International SOS (ISOS) first. Access a copy of the list of ISOS services (PDF).
Before departing UIW, all students, faculty, and administrators are instructed to create an online account with ISOS, using UIW's member ID number. Please visit or contact the UIW Study Abroad Office to obtain the UIW member number. In addition, it is highly recommended to download the International SOS app. ISOS services can be accessed 24/7 by calling or via the ISOS app.
Steps to take:
1) Try to gather as much information before calling International SOS (ISOS):
- Full name and student ID
- Current country and city
- Specific Location (i.e., school, hotel, hospital, police station, etc.)
- Contact information (i.e., phone number(s), email, physical address, etc.)
2) Call or contact ISOS via the app and be ready to give as many details as possible in order to facilitate the process.
- Remember the 5 W's and the 1 H rule (Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How). You may not have all of the answers; however, these details will help in addressing your immediate needs.
International SOS is your first point of contact. Furthermore, in case of an emergency, ISOS will be in contact with the appropriate UIW personnel, as they too will be apprised of your emergency. The Study Abroad Office is always happy to offer additional support and may be reached at 210-805-3015 or via email (Monday - Friday, except holidays, between 8:30am - 4:30pm CST).
UIW Study Abroad and International Affairs emergency e-mail addresses:
Javier Lozano. Ph.D, firstname.lastname@example.org
University Police: email@example.com
Please visit the Campus Life's website to report a complaint/incident via online.
Please contact the UIW Study Abroad Office, if you have any questions or concerns about Health and Safety Issues (between 8:30am - 4:30pm CST):
Grossman International Conference Center
847 E Hildebrand Ave., Ste. F111
International SOS Information
International SOS (ISOS): International SOS provides medical, security, and logistical expertise to help safeguard our international travelers.
Please email Javier Lozano, Ph.D., Director of International Affairs or Ms. Austin Pershing, Coordinator of Sister School Partnerships in order to obtain UIW's official ISOS member number required to access this service.
Download the International SOS app to gain access to:
- One-click dialing to the closest International SOS Assistance Centre, for immediate help;
- Mobile-friendly medical and travel security information to prepare for trips, with deeper content a further tap away;
- Latest medical and travel security alerts, delivering travel advice before and during trips; and
- Favorite country content for fast navigation to travelers’ most used information.
Go to: www.internationalsos.com
- Choose country guide(s) with important travel and security advice;
- Sign up for email alerts; and
- Print your membership card.
ISOS will initially address and manage international emergencies. UIW International Affairs Representatives will be in regular communication with both ISOS and CISI in order to evaluate the incident and the appropriate action(s).
In an emergency, International SOS can ensure faculty, staff, administrators and students acquire immediate care whether it requires evacuating them to a center of medical excellence or closely monitoring their condition with local doctors.
International SOS can also take care of details associated with the traveler's situation, such as making travel arrangements for family members so they can focus on getting better.
UIW International Affairs key personnel have access to the ISOS software and online resources, which will be implemented in an event of an international emergency.
For non-medical emergencies, International SOS will help UIW faculty, staff, administrators and students locate a qualified health care provider, obtain a prescription, or simply answer any general medical or security concern they may have so they get quality medical care and advice.