To be eligible to participate in the study abroad program, you:

  • must be currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student
  • have successfully completed 12 hours at UIW
  • have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.4 (some sister schools may require a higher GPA)
  • cannot be abroad the semester you plan to graduate
  • must complete 36 of the last 45 hours at UIW
  • cannot enroll in more than 30 credit hours abroad
  • must meet eligibility requirements at sister school (foreign language skill may be required)

Before departure, you must:

  • complete all required paperwork by the assigned deadline
  • attend the mandatory Study Abroad Pre-Departure Session

Good academic standing and a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.4 are required to apply to study abroad; some programs stipulate a higher GPA. If admission is conditional, students must satisfy all conditions. If students do not meet the academic requirements to study abroad, including good academic standing, or they violate academic integrity prior to study abroad, permission to participate will be revoked, at the student's expense, even if admission has been granted and travel arrangements have been made. Some international programs require a minimum level of language skill.

Academic Protocol

Students who enter UIW as freshmen must complete at least one semester, of full-time study, in San Antonio and be enrolled at UIW the semester in order to be eligible to participate in an independent study abroad.

Transfer students must have completed at least one semester at UIW before being eligible to participate in an independent study abroad program. Students must be enrolled at UIW while participating in the study abroad semester.

Petitioning for an exemption from these policies is an option, if there are compelling academic and intellectual reasons. Students should contact the Study Abroad Coordinator to discuss petitioning. All exemptions are on a case by case basis. The International Affairs Office reserves the right to deny a student's exemption request.