Presidential Teaching Award
The annual Presidential Teaching Award acknowledges an individual who exemplifies excellence in teaching that leads to student engagement. Announcement of the recipient of this award will occur at the Faculty Appreciation Luncheon in April.
Eligibility and Criteria
- To be eligible for this award, the nominee must be teaching full time in the semester and must be nominated on the official Nomination Form.
- The primary characteristic the judges will consider is “an extraordinary dedication to teaching,” which should be demonstrated by excellence in the following areas:
- Impact and involvement with students
- A teaching approach that encourages student engagement
- Nominations may be submitted online using the nomination form available at the UIW web site.
- Nominations must be accompanied by a rationale stating why the nominee is deserving of the award. Without this rationale, the nomination will be ineligible.
- The nomination period opens February 1, 2023 and closes February 28, 2023
- Each candidate must submit a current vita and a short statement (no more than two pages) addressing the following areas:
- Teaching philosophy
- Methods to engage students
- Examples of professional accomplishments of which you are most proud
- Nominee materials must be submitted electronically to the Provost's Office by Wednesday, March 8, 2023. Only complete packets will be forwarded for review.
- The selection committee comprised of the Provost and past recipients of this award will review all nominee materials. The chairperson of this committee will be selected by the committee at its first meeting.
- The committee will review all submitted files and will forward three names to the President for final selection.
- Announcement of the final selection will be made at the Faculty Appreciation on April 3, 2023.
The recipient of the Presidential Teaching Award receives a $5,000 stipend and framed certificate presented by the President. Like other such awards, this award is presented to an individual once; recipients become members of the Selection Committee in succeeding years.
- 2005 - Dr. Roger Barnes
- 2006 - Mr. William Gokelman
- 2007 - Dr. Neeta Singh
- 2008 - Dr. William Carleton
- 2009 - Dr. Theresa Tiggeman
- 2010 - Dr. Paul M. Lewis
- 2011 - Dr. Lydia Andrade
- 2012 - Dr. Jessica C. Kimmel
- 2013 - Dr. Douglas A. Gilmour
- 2014 - Dr. Brian McBurnett
- 2015 - Dr. Scott Dittloff
- 2016 - Dr. Laura Munoz
- 2017 - Dr. Helmut Gottlieb
- 2018 - Dr. Stefanie Boswell
- 2019 - Dr. Lopita Nath
- 2020 - Dr. Veronica Acosta
- 2021 - Earl Harmsen
- 2022 - Margaret Mitchell