The Word E-News Archive
UIW President Dr. Lou Agnese conferred degrees to over 800 professional, doctoral, graduate and undergraduate students at a fall commencement ceremony held Sunday, Dec. 7, 2014 in the Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum.
Our Lady's Chapel Services
All are welcome.
- Noon Mass, Monday – Friday
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Liturgy of the Hours evening prayer at 4:30 p.m. every Wednesday
- Sacrament of Reconciliation - 11:30 a.m. Fridays or by appointment.
Advent Salvation History Story
Advent Salvation History Story: Isaiah's vision – a Savior is sent to us http://www.uiw.edu/documents/C59_SaviorWillCome_StoriesofOT.pdf Excerpt from The Stories of the Old Testament: A Catholic's Guide by Jim Campbell (Loyola Press, 2007). Posted with permission of Loyola Press. Visit www.loyolapress.com for more resources to nurture your faith.
Christmas Eve Mass
On behalf of University Mission & Ministry all are invited to the annual evening Christmas Eve Mass on Wednesday, Dec. 24, 2014. Prelude music will begin at 5p.m. with Mass beginning at 5:30 p.m.
UMM Angel Tree
University Mission Ministry is once again sponsoring an Angel Tree for our community members who are in need of assistance this Christmas. We invite you to consider sponsoring a child or family of children for this holiday season. If it is a large family you may want to gather a group of people to sponsor the family. The Angel Tree is located in the foyer leading to Our Lady's Chapel in the Administration Building. It will be displayed through December 14th. Please bring items in a holiday bag with the original Angel tag to Mission & Ministry (AD 146 or 147) any time before Wednesday, December 17th. Distribution of the items will be December 19th and 20th. For more information please contact Mission & Ministry @ 829-3128.
VP of Institutional Advancement, Sr. Kathleen Coughlin, Dean of Mabee Library Services Dr. Cheryl Anderson, Dean of the Dreeben School of Education Denise Staudt, Admin. Asst. to the VP of Enrollment Management, Martha Gutierrez, Director of Major Gifts and Planned Giving Alex Castaneda and Director of Alumni and Parent Relations Dr. Lisa McNary gather at the UIW employee Christmas party held Friday, Dec. 5 in the McComb's Center Rosenberg Skyroom.
Special Events Coordinator Kayla Rice and Associate Registrar Brandy Garcia pose for a quick photo at the UIW employee Christmas party held Friday, Dec. 5 in the McComb's Center Rosenberg Skyroom.
Study Abroad Coordinator Alanna Taylor celebrates earning her master's in education at the Sunday, Dec 7, Fall Commencement Ceremony.
Have you served as a TED/TEDx speaker or volunteer?
Attention alumni, faculty, staff and administrators! If you have given a talk or volunteered at a TED/TEDx event or know someone in the UIW community who has, please share by emailing Brance Arnold, publications coordinator for PR, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you
Retirement Celebration for Paula Proud
Please join in the celebration of Paula Proud's retirement after serving over 8 years as Student Resource Specialist in the Registrar's Office, at 1:30 p.m., Monday, Jan 5 in the McCreless Heritage Room, AD 155. For more information contact Brandy Garcia at (210) 832-5636 or email@example.com
UIW Veterans Tribute StolePlease join us in congratulating the 83 student veterans awarded the UIW Veterans Tribute Stole at the December 2014 Graduation Ceremony. The Tribute stole recognizes and honors our veterans, provided free of charge and in grateful appreciation of their service to our country,by the UIW Center for Veterans Affairs. Please contact Karen Wyatt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 829-2705 with any questions.
Extended Academic Programs
Dr. Cyndi Porter, vice president of Extended Academic Studies, Vince Porter, dean of Extended Academic Studies and Alan "Doc X" Xenakis, MD, ScD, MPH, MS, professor, Division of Extended Academic Programs take a moment at UIW's Fall Commencement held Sunday, Dec. 7, 2014 in the Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum.
- UIW welcomed home after big win over Nebraska
- KABB-FOX: FOX News First: View
- KENS-CBS EYEWITNESS NEWS 6AM: View
- KSAT-ABC GOOD MORNING SAN ANTONIO 6:30AM: View
- WOAI-TV UIW Upsets Nebraska in Lincoln: View
- Incarnate Word Shocks Nebraska
- Oh my word
- UIW has that soaring feeling (must be a subscriber)
UIW Basketball Season
UIW Men's Basketball invites the community to enjoy their upcoming season; games for the month of Dec. are listed below.
- Dec. 17: Men's Basketball at Grand Canyon, 7 p.m.
- Dec. 20: Men's Basketball at Missouri-Kansas City, 6:05 p.m.
- Dec. 22: Men's Basketball at Tulsa, 8 p.m.
- Jan. 3: Men's Basketball at Sam Houston State, 4:30 p.m.
- Jan. 10: Men's Basketball at Northwestern State, 3 p.m.
- Jan. 12: Men's Basketball vs. New Orleans, McDermott Convocation Center, 7 p.m.
- Jan. 17: Men's Basketball vs. Southeastern Louisiana, McDermott Convocation Center, 4 p.m.
- Jan. 24: Men's Basketball at Abilene Christian, 4 p.m.
- Jan. 26: Men's Basketball vs. McNeese State, McDermott Convocation Center, 7 p.m.
- Jan. 31: Men's Basketball at Nicholls, 3:30 p.m.
Admission to home games is $10. For more information, please contact Kevin Lepore at (210) 805-3000 or email@example.com.
Join UIW's Sometime Singers & Players, a group made up of faculty, staff, administrators and students (vocalists and instrumentalists) who cannot participate in weekly rehearsals and services, but who serve when possible at liturgical prayer throughout the school year. Remaining rehearsal times are listed below.
- Tuesday, Dec. 16
- Thursday, Dec. 18
- Tuesday, Dec. 23
All rehearsals are from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in Our Lady's Chapel. For questions about the rehearsal schedule, contact 832-3207. Christmas Eve Mass will be Wednesday, Dec. 24, 5:30 p.m. in Our Lady's Chapel with warm-up beginning at 4 p.m. for participants in the choir. To RSVP or for more information, please contact Lena Gokelman at firstname.lastname@example.org or at ext. 3207, or Dr. Glenn James at email@example.com or ext. 3943.
Temporary relocation of Printing Services
Because of accessibility issues due to the asbestos abatement in the Admin Bldg., Printing Services will temporarily relocate to Room 235 on the second floor of the Mabee Library on Monday, Dec. 15 and Tuesday, Dec. 16. Printing Services will still be able to run print and copy jobs those days but it is highly recommended that customers also make use of the remote copiers located around campus for quicker copying needs. Normal operations will resume on Wednesday, Dec. 17. If you have any questions, please contact Mike Hood, Director of Printing Services and Graphic Design, at 805-5826.
Asbestos Abatement in Administration Building
Please note schedule below for Construction for Asbestos Abatement occurring in the Administration Building, Basement Level. If you have any questions, place call Facilities Management at (210) 829-6023.
December 8, Monday
- Shut down AC to Chick Fil A and Community room and old Credit Union office
- Remove air handler from mechanical room
- It will take approximately two weeks to replace the air conditioning.
December 10-12, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
- The hallway outside Hortencia's and the Northeast entrance to the AD Building on the basement level facing Broadway will be closed to all traffic.
- Elevator will be operational on these days, but you must enter the building from the Courtyard.
December 13, Saturday
- The entrance and hallway located outside purchasing will be closed to all traffic.
- Administration 62 will not be accessible on Saturday.
December 15 and 16, Monday and Tuesday
- The main hallway on the basement level of the AD building will be shut down to all traffic
- Elevator will not be operational
- Post office entry will only be from courtyard.
- Post office boxes will not be accessible
Illa Faye Miller School of Nursing faculty and students stop for a photo as they prepare to deliver hundreds of gifts gathered from the UIW community to the families at Haven for Hope.
The newest issue of the The Word Magazine, Fall 2014 Annual Report and Honor Roll List of Donors, is now available online! Please visit www.thewordonline.org to view and also check with your department head to view a print copy.
Visitors Temporary Parking Permit
In order to obtain a temporary parking permit: visitors, vendors or students must contact the UIWPD Parking Enforcement office 48 hours in advance (to exclude holidays and weekends) of requiring a temporary parking permit. Visitors, vendors or students must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org during the office hours of 8 a.m.-4 p.m. and provide the following information:
- Visitor, Vendor, or Student name
- Driver's license number and state
- Vehicle license plate and state
- Make and model of vehicle
- Date of visit
If advance notice is not provided visitors, vendors or students must stop by the UIWPD Parking Enforcement office at Mission Plaza to obtain a permit in person. For more information, please contact Mel Aguilar at (210) 283-5066 or email@example.com.
Construction Area Danger
The UIW community is asked to observe posted warning signs surrounding the Fine Arts construction site. There have been instances of people walking through the gated barricades. Please note, there are dangerous working conditions and heavy equipment being used, therefore only authorized personnel should be present within the fenced area. Thank you for your cooperation.
Winter Hours for UIW Dining
Please note that all Sodexo dining locations are closed now through January 5, 2015. For more information visit: https://uiwdining.sodexomyway.com or call (210) 832-2149.
Free admission to San Antonio Museum of Art and McNay Art Museum for UIW employees & students
As UIW is a corporate sponsor of the San Antonio Museum of Art and the McNay Art Museum, all UIW employees and students have free access to the museums with use of their campus ID. The UIW community is encouraged to take advantage of this membership.
EMPLOYEE HEALTH & WELLNESS
The mission of the UIW Employee Wellness Committee is “To promote health of spirit, mind and body across the UIW community, and nurture new models of and leaders in health and wellness.” If you have any health and wellness related events, we want to hear from you. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with information about your event. Like us on Facebook.
UIW 2014 Moody Professor Dr. Lopita Nath (center) gathers with UIW Deans Dr. Carlos Garcia, Dr. Sharon Welkey, Dr. Denise Staudt, Dr. Jack Healy, Dr. Mary Hoke and Dr. Timothy Wingert prior to the Sunday, Dec 7 fall 2014 commencement ceremony.
SACHS Theatre Dept. presents Over the River and Through the Woods
The story synopsis is that Nick is a single, Italian-American guy from New Jersey. His parents retired and moved to Florida. That doesn't mean his family isn't still in Jersey. In fact, he sees both sets of his grandparents every Sunday for dinner. This is routine until he has to tell them that he's been offered a dream job. The job he's been waiting for—marketing executive—would take him away from his beloved, but annoying, grandparents. He tells them the news, which doesn't sit so well. Thus begins a series of schemes to keep Nick around. How could he betray his family's love to move to Seattle, for a job, wonder his grandparents? Well, Frank, Aida, Nunzio and Emma do their level best, and that includes bringing to dinner the lovely—and single—Caitlin O'Hare as bait… the ending won't be given away here.
The Theatre Dept. of St. Anthony Catholic High School invites the community to attend their production of Over the River and Through the Woods. The last show time is Saturday, Dec. 13, 7 p.m., in the SACHS gymnasium. Admission is $5 a person and CCVI's are free. For more information, please contact Louisette Zurita at (210) 832-5600 or email@example.com.
Visit St. Anthony Catholic High School at www.sachs.org.
Beneath a Star - IWHS Madrigal Alumnae Concert
Enjoy the sounds of the season as the Incarnate Word High School Madrigal Alumnae present a holiday concert, Monday, Dec 22, at 7:30 p.m., in the Chapel of the Incarnate Word. Tickets are $8 per person and all proceeds benefit the IWHS Madrigal Alumnae Scholarship Program. For more information contact IWHS Development Director Stephanie Denning at (210) 832-2143 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit Incarnate Word High School at www.incarnatewordhs.org.
Visit the UIW Prep website at http://prep.uiw.edu.
Women's Global Connection's Holiday Alternative Giving Program:
WGC's holiday alternative giving program provides several options to honor girls and women worldwide. We are SO very grateful for UIW faculty and staff support of this program over the years.
The 2014 options are:
- $25 to train a preschool teacher in Peru
- $30 to support a preschool child for 4 months in Africa
- $35 to purchase a dozen hens for a woman's family business in Africa
- $50 to purchase a pig or goat for a woman's family business in Africa
- $200 to fund a woman's business for a year in Peru or Africa with you as her Global Business Partner
- $1,500 for women in Tanzania to build 1 rainwater harvester (or designate a lesser amount toward a rainwater harvester)
- $ ____ to provide scholarships through the Dorothy Ettling-Neomi Hayes Immersion Trip Fund for those in need of travel expense support for WGC immersion trips in developing countries.
Please send payment and where you want it designated to WGC, CPO #1228 or to WGC, 4503 Broadway, San Antonio, TX, 78209. OR, you can donate online at www.womensglobalconnection.org under Home/Programs/Alternative Giving. If you have questions, need a paper giving form, or want a special recognition card to give someone, please contact Alison Buck, Associate Director – email@example.com or call WGC:(210)828-2224, Ext. 269
Our sympathy and prayers go to:
- Kathy (IWHS '84) and Steve Hodapp & family on the recent loss of her mother, Helen Marie Bily (BSN '59).
- The family of Jane Maverick McNeel Keller (BA '72) on her recent death.
- The family of Elizabeth Browne O'Connor (BA '37) on her recent death.
The University of the Incarnate Word provides reasonable accommodation with adequate notice. To request disability accommodation for events listed in this newsletter, visit www.uiw.edu/ada.