The Word E-News Archive
The 38th Annual Swing-In Auction Party "Throwback to the 80s" was held Thursday, April 30. Pictured above from left to right are Scott Beckendorf, UIW board of trustee member, Karin Beckendorf and Sr. Kathleen Coughlin, vice president of institutional advancement, enjoying the festivities and theme of the auction party.
Noon Mass Cancelled
There will not be noon mass on Friday, May 8. For more information, contact University Mission & Ministry at (210) 829-3128 or email@example.com.
Mass Summer Schedule
Starting Sunday, May 10, there will not be mass on Sundays at 8 p.m. until Sunday, August 23 in observance of the summer schedule. If you have any questions, contact University Mission & Ministry at (210) 829-3128 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Lady’s Chapel Services
All are welcome.
- Noon Mass, Monday – Friday
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m.
- Liturgy of the Hours evening prayer at 4:30 p.m. every Wednesday
- Sacrament of Reconciliation - 11:30 a.m. Fridays or by appointment with Fr. Tom Dymowski, O.SS.T. (210) 829-3131 or email@example.com.
As the semester nears to a close, let’s take a look at the commencement schedule for Spring 2015. Please keep in mind that the schedule for the upcoming commencement exercises is slightly different than what has been done in the past.
- Baccalaureate Mass – Saturday, May 2 at 5 p.m.; Convocation Center
- Pharmacy Commencement – Friday, May 8 at 6:30 p.m.; Convocation Center
- Optometry Commencement – Saturday, May 9 at 10 a.m.; Convocation Center
- Physical Therapy Commencement – Saturday, May 9 at 2 p.m.; Convocation Center
- Undergraduate, Graduate and Ph.D. Commencement – Saturday, May 9 at 6 p.m.; Freeman Coliseum (3201 E. Houston St., San Antonio, TX 78219)
Admission to all commencement ceremonies is by ticket only. For more information about this semester’s commencement exercises, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (210) 829-6006.
2015 Corporate Cup
UIW will host the citywide San Antonio Sports Corporate Cup on Saturday, May 30 from 7 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the UIW Athletic Complex. Companies from all over San Antonio will compete in field day type activities for points and prizes. UIW is in the large company category against groups such as H-E-B, USAA, Rackspace and more. This year there is an online registration form to be a part of TEAM UIW. Visit http://uiw.edu/teamuiw/ to select which activities you would be interested in participating or sign-up to volunteer during tailgate. You will be notified which activities you will be competing in closer to the event by the Team UIW Corporate Cup Committee, as there are limited spots for each. Each UIW employee who participates will receive a free t-shirt! Families are encouraged to attend and support but are not eligible to participate EXCEPT for a 2k Healthy Walk. For more information, visit http://www.sanantoniosports.org/corporatecup/.
As part of this competition, UIW can earn points for collecting items for the charity challenge. TEAM UIW has selected to focus on donations for Haven for Hope. Haven for Hope is collecting the following new items ONLY in all sizes: packages of socks, packages of underwear, cotton sports or regular bras and packages of white cotton t-shirts. Donations will be collected until Thursday, May 7 at the UIW Campus Life Office. For more information, call Campus Life at 210-829-6034.
The conclusion of the Kinesiology Department’s 16-week Kayaking Class concluded with a river kayaking trip on the San Marcos River. The class of 9 students and instructor, Scott LeBlanc (far right), assistant director of athletic training facilities, embarked on a 3-hour paddle on April 17.
The School of Physical Therapy held an award ceremony for its inaugural class on Wednesday, May 6. Pictured above from left to right are Dr. Chad Jackson, assistant professor of physical therapy, Dr. Andy Waldhelm, assistant professor of physical therapy, and Dr. Stephen Goffar, associate dean of the school of physical therapy.
The Office of Admissions staff is gearing up to bid adieu to the Kathleen Martin Watson Enrollment Center starting Wednesday, May 13.
Fiscal Year End Procedures
We are approaching the end of another budget year. In order to close out the 2014/2015 fiscal year, we need your cooperation in the areas displayed in this memorandum.
San Antonio International Piano Competition (SAIPC)
The UIW Department of Music is hosting the San Antonio International Piano Competition in Seddon Recital Hall on Saturday, May 9 at 8 p.m. For more information on these concerts, contact the UIW Department of Music at (210) 829-3855 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everything I Never Showed You
The UIW Department of Art presents the 2015 Senior Capstone Exhibition titled Everything I Never Showed You through Tuesday, June 30 at the Rosenberg School of Optometry (9725 Datapoint Dr., San Antonio, TX 78229). Gallery hours are 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday excluding UIW holidays. For more information, contact the UIW Art Department at (210) 829-3855 or email@example.com.
Interior Design Senior Showcase
Celebrate the creative works of the interior design graduating seniors at the 2015 Interior Design Senior Showcase on Friday, May 8 from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. in the Joyce Building. For more information on this event, contact Judy Broughton at (210) 829-3860 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Departments on the Move
- Office of Admissions – The Office of Admissions is excited to announce their move to the ground floor of the Administration Building. All admissions staff will be moving between Wednesday, May 13 and Friday, May 15. The office will be fully operational on Monday, May 18. If you have any questions, please call 210-829-6005.
- Center for Veterans Affairs – The Center for Veterans Affairs is moving to the ground floor of the Administration Building, Room 79 (down the hall from Hortencia’s Café). The office will be fully operational on Tuesday, May 26. Until move-out, they will continue operations at Watson Enrollment Bldg., Room 224. If you have any questions, please call 210-829-2705 or email@example.com.
- Office of Research and Graduate Studies & Office of Research Development – This office is moving to the Administration Building ground floor near the new Office of Admissions. The office will be fully operational on Monday, May 18. If there are any questions, call the Graduate Office at (210) 829-3157.
- Office of Human Resources – The Office of Human Resources will be moving to the fourth floor of the Administration Building on Monday, May 18. If you have any questions, please call (210) 829-6019.
- Office of Institutional Research – This office is moving to the third floor of the Administration Building on Wednesday, May 20. If you have any questions, please call Robin Logan at 210-829-3933.
Extended Academic Programs
Full-Time Employees Receive Discount for UIW Prep
Are you looking for a summer school option that gives your student the flexibility of earning high school and/or college credit without going to a physical location? UIW Prep can help. We offer 100% online courses for acceleration and dual credit. Full-time employees receive $25 off regular courses. Dual credit courses are not eligible for discount. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org. The registration deadline for the Summer I session is Friday, May 22.
UIW Baseball & Softball Season
The UIW Athletics Department invites the community to enjoy men’s baseball and women’s softball. Games for May are listed below.
Men’s Baseball for the Week:
May 8: Men’s Baseball vs. Texas A&M – Corpus Christi, Sullivan Field, 6:30 p.m.
May 9: Men’s Baseball vs. Texas A&M – Corpus Christi, Sullivan Field, 3 p.m.
May 10: Men’s Baseball vs. Texas A&M – Corpus Christi, Sullivan Field, 1 p.m.
May 14: Men’s Baseball at Abilene Christian, 6 p.m.
May 15: Men’s Baseball at Abilene Christian, 2 p.m.
For more information, please contact Kevin Lepore at (210) 805-3000 or email@example.com.
Benefits Open Enrollment
Benefits open enrollment runs until Friday, May 8. Aetna is now administrating the health and dental plans and Metlife is providing our vision insurance. Everyone must enroll or waive benefits this year through Banner Self-Service via the myWord portal. Human Resources will be available in the Library's Computer Lab, Room 230 from 9 – 11 a.m. and 1 – 3 p.m. on Friday, May 8 to assist with the online open enrollment. For more information, contact Shannon Root at (210) 829-6019 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ebadul Islam Dissertation Defense
Ph.D. candidate Ebadul Islam will host a public defense of his dissertation, "Cost Accounting in Bangladesh: Use, Value, Obstacles, and Education Needs," on Friday, May 15 at 1:30 p.m. in the Mabee Library Special Collections Room. Dr. Richard Gray is Mr. Islam's dissertation committee chair. For more information, contact Duncan Hayse at (210) 829-2759 or email@example.com.
EMPLOYEE HEALTH & WELLNESS
Hosting of Candidates for Vice President for Information Resources
The final candidate for vice president of information resources, Lisa Bazley, is scheduled to meet with deans and faculty at 12:45 p.m. and the administrators and staff at 2 p.m. on May 15. These two sessions are open for anyone to attend, particularly those who have scheduling conflicts with their designated group’s time.
Summer Training Call for Proposals
Faculty and staff are encouraged to submit a proposal for either of our two summer institutes at the UIW Campus. Proposals will be accepted now through Monday, May 25.
- Blackboard Guru: Monday, June 1 – Friday, June 12; 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.; AD 417
This is your opportunity to take your course from a repository for your syllabus and PowerPoint presentations to an integrated, interactive, and engaging course. This two-week seminar will include instruction in: pedagogy, course organization and design, assessment, assignments, the grade center and other beneficial topics. Upon successful completion of the course, UIW faculty will receive a $500.00 technology stipend. Stipends are only available for full time UIW faculty. Adjunct faculty, IWHS/SACHS faculty, and UIW staff may participate but will not receive a stipend. Seating is limited. Click http://bit.ly/UIWguru15 to submit your proposal. Email Terry Peak: firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Flipped Classroom: Monday, Aug. 3 – Wednesday, Aug. 12; 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.; AD 417
This is your opportunity to learn and apply Flipped Classroom concepts using Blackboard and a variety of video creation tools. This week and a half seminar by the Department of Instructional Technology will show you how to apply collaborative tools and video editing applications to create instructional content that is interactive and engaging. Upon successful completion of the course, UIW faculty will receive a $500.00 technology stipend. Stipends are only available for full time UIW faculty. Adjunct faculty, IWHS/SACHS faculty, and UIW staff may participate but will not receive a stipend.
Visit St. Anthony Catholic High School at www.sachs.org.
Visit Incarnate Word High School at www.incarnatewordhs.org.
Visit the UIW Prep website at http://prep.uiw.edu.
Our sympathies and prayers go to:
- Lisa Cook Rankin & family on the recent loss of her mother, Matie Cook (BS ’47).
- Maria Antonietta and Gary Joeris (UIW Board of Trustees; UIW Friends) & family on the recent loss of his mother, Leatrice Joy Joeris.
- The family of, the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, and the entire UIW community on the recent loss of Sr. Anne Marie McCaffrey, CCVI (BA ’57).
- Kathleen Ryan & family on the recent loss of her aunt, Janet Alvord Ryan (BSN ’53, UIW Verbum Society).
The University of the Incarnate Word provides reasonable accommodation with adequate notice. To request disability accommodation for events listed in this newsletter, visit www.uiw.edu/ada.