The Word E-News Archive
Photo of the Week
UIW celebrated Freshman Move-In Day on Thursday, Aug. 24. UIW President Dr. Tom Evans and members of the community assisted as students and their parents converged on the residence halls. Pictured above is Dr. Evans who spent the day meeting and greeting our newest cardinals, their parents and their families.
Our Lady's Chapel Services
All are welcome.
- Noon Mass, Monday - Friday
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation - 11:30 a.m. Fridays or by appointment with Fr. Tom Dymowski, O.SS.T. at (210) 829-3131 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Noon Mass Cancelled - Friday, Aug. 25
The regularly scheduled Noon Mass will not take place today. A special Commissioning Service will be celebrated in Our Lady's Chapel at 12 p.m., celebrating the 2017/18 Peer Ministers.
For info, contact University Mission & Ministry at (210) 829-3128 or email@example.com.
UIW Weather Update
San Antonio and the Coastal Plains are expected to receive severe weather in the next few days due to Hurricane Harvey. We are actively monitoring the weather conditions.
We will be communicating all closures, cancellations and delays on our website at www.uiw.edu/emergency. We will send email updates as needed. A RAVE alert will be issued if the situation warrants.
Please be sure you are signed up to receive RAVE alerts. For information on how to sign up for RAVE alerts, visit: http://www.uiw.edu/ird/documents/ravealert20151029.pdf
We encourage everyone to always use their best judgment when traveling the roadways. Please consider the current conditions where you are.
Photo Database Update - All Employees Welcome
To keep the employee photo database up-to-date, new administrators, faculty members and anyone who would like a new photo for the Office of Communications and Marketing database is asked to stop by the McCombs Center Rosenberg Sky Room on Friday, Aug. 25 during the Full-time Faculty Opening Workshop and Luncheon. A professional photographer will be on hand to take your headshot. These photos will be available to you if you need to submit a headshot for a publication, and they will be used by each department for their own purposes. No appointments are necessary; the photographer will be available from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. For more info, contact Marissa Rodriguez at (210) 805-3593 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UIW Spirit Photo
The Office of Human Resources invites all employees for a special UIW spirit photo at 2 p.m., Friday, Aug. 25, in the lobby of the Student Engagement Center. Wear your red and black and be ready to smile big for our special spirit photo. For questions, contact Heather Hamilton at (210) 832-2104 or email@example.com.
Weather causes changes to SEC Grand Opening & Ribbon Cutting
Due to severe weather expected in our area Friday through Monday, the 10 a.m. Ribbon Cutting for the Student Engagement Center (SEC) previously scheduled on Monday, Aug. 28, has been postponed. The Ribbon Cutting will now be combined with the Blessing and Dedication at 4 p.m. on the same day, Monday, Aug. 28 inside the lobby of the SEC. If you have any questions, or to RSVP contact (210) 829-6001 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
Welcome Week Events
Monday, Aug. 28:
- 4 p.m. - Student Engagement Center Grand Opening & Ribbon Cutting: A ribbon cutting ceremony will take place in front of the SEC followed by tours through the building from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Please RSVP to (210) 829-6001 or email@example.com.
- 4 p.m. - Student Engagement Center Blessing & Dedication: A blessing & dedication ceremony will take place in the SEC lobby. Please RSVP to (210) 829-6001 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7 - 10 p.m. - River Jam: This free event will take place in front of the SEC. Get free T-shirts, have fun, and listen to music featuring DJ Noel, DJ Kenneth Thomas and DJ EGHA.
Tuesday, Aug. 29:
- 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. - Student Engagement Center Giveaways: Stop by the SEC for a chance to receive fun and exciting giveaways.
Wednesday, Aug. 30:
- 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.: SGA Org Fair in the SEC Concourse
Thursday, Aug. 31:
- 4 - 7 p.m. - Spiked: Have a chance to meet UIW Greek Life and UIW Intramurals at a sand volleyball tournament at the sand volleyball courts located near The Blue Hole.
For further info on Welcome Week events, contact Kristen Barrick at (210) 805-5862 or email@example.com.
The Murder of Emmett Till with author Devery S. Anderson
CHASS is hosting a public lecture from 7 - 9 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 13, in the Concert Hall with author and scholar Devery S. Anderson, author of Emmett Till: The Murder that Shocked the World and Propelled the Civil Rights Movement. The book, published in 2015 by the University of Mississippi Press, is the definitive account of the murder of 14-year old Emmett Till in Mississippi, an event that is often credited as the "beginning" of the 20th Century Civil Rights Movement. For info, contact Dr. Roger Barnes at (210) 829-3976 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employee Ice Cream Social
The Office of Human Resources invites UIW employees to come together to kick off the new school year with an ice cream social from 2 - 3 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 31, in the Student Engagement Center Ballroom. For more info, contact (210) 829-6019 or email@example.com.
UIW hosted U.S. Citizen Naturalization Ceremony
The UIW campus community hosted the staff of U.S. District Judge Xavier Rodriguez at the McCombs Center Rosenberg Sky Room on Aug. 15 for the naturalization of over 290 new Americans. Those being naturalized represented over 50 countries and were congratulated by UIW President Dr. Thomas Evans during his keynote address. The University and the Ettling Center for Civic Leadership hopes to plan a similar event in the Spring of 2018.
Fall 2017 Instructional Technology In-Person and Online Training
Instructional Technology is hosting a series of in-person and online training sessions for Blackboard and Microsoft Office Online. For a full list of courses and ways to sign up, follow this link to the IRD Training Schedule. For further info, contact Terry Peak at (210) 218-8795 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHASS Welcome Party
The dean, faculty and students of the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences invite you to join them in an evening of fun, food and friendship from 5:30 - 7 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 30, on Dubuis Lawn. Enjoy some barbeque, music, games and prizes while you learn a little about all that CHASS has to offer. For info, contact Dr. Tanja Stampfl at (210) 829-3885 or email@example.com.
Inclement Weather Alert
San Antonio and the Coastal Plains are expected to receive severe weather in the next few days due to Hurricane Harvey. We are actively monitoring the weather conditions. We will be communicating all closures, cancellations and delays on our website at www.uiw.edu/emergency. We will send email updates as needed. A RAVE alert will be issued if the situation warrants. Please be sure you are signed up to receive RAVE alerts. For info on how to sign up for RAVE alerts, visit this link. We encourage everyone to always use their best judgment when traveling the roadways. Please consider the current conditions where you are.
- Students move into new living quarters at UIW - KSAT-12 News Online
- Move In Day at the University of the Incarnate Word - KSAT-12 News Broadcast
- Students Move In to UIW (Scroll to 4:15:33) - KENS-5 News Broadcast
- Move In Day At UIW - KTSA
Bereavement Notice - McPherson
Ben McPherson, instructor of biology, is mourning the loss of his mother who passed away on Sunday, July 30, at the age of 103. Services have been held. Please keep Ben and his family in your thoughts and prayers.
Bereavement Notice - Martinez
Dr. Veronica Martinez-Acosta, associate professor of biology, is mourning the loss of her father who passed away Thursday, Aug. 17. Services were held in Houston at Forest Park Cemetery with a Funeral Mass at St Alphonso's Church. Please keep Dr. Martinez-Acosta and her family in your thoughts and prayers.
Bereavement Notice - Senne
Dr. Beth Senne-Duff, associate professor of nutrition, is mourning the loss of her mother, Nathine Senne, who passed away on Sunday, Aug. 20. She was blessed with 93 years. A graveside service is expected on Wednesday at Citizens Cemetery in Flagstaff, AZ. Please keep Dr. Senne-Duff and her family in your thoughts and prayers.
Campus Safety Awareness Month
UIW's Department of Environmental Health, Safety & Risk Management plans to observe September as Campus Safety Awareness Month by conducting fire drills for all UIW buildings. As this may cause a slight disruption in the daily schedule, we want to inform everyone in advance in order to minimize inconvenience as much as possible. All deans, department heads or other individuals responsible for buildings or areas are invited to coordinate with Andrew Fohn at firstname.lastname@example.org to plan potential dates and times for the drills. In addition, any other questions or concerns are welcome.
UPDATE: 2017-2018 Parking Permit Replacement Information
The UIW Business Office has received the replacement parking permits for the 2017-2018 school year. If you have already received your parking permit, please exchange it for a new one at the UIW Business Office located in the Administration Building. No permit will be issued if the defective permit is not returned. If you haven't picked up a permit, please continue to request a temporary permit and register your vehicle on Cardinal Cars. If you have questions, contact the UIW Business Office at (210) 829-6043.
Is your office/department moving?
If your office is moving, please let us know where and when so we can include your information in the upcoming issues of The Word Today. Also, please remember to update your directory listing by using this form: http://www.uiw.edu/hr/directoryupdateform.html. A list of departments who have moved will be posted in the upcoming newsletter.
- Help Desk, SEC 41
- Post Office SEC 53 & 54
- Dining Services SEC 1040 & 1042
- Dining Services SEC 3050, 3055, 3056, & 3057
- Veteran Affairs, 829-2705, SEC 3024-3026
- Career Services SEC 3032 & 3033
- Advising SEC 3120, 3122, 3124, 3125, 3126, 3128, 3129, 3130, 3133, 3134, & 3136
- TRiO, SEC 3144 & 3146
- Interfaith Prayer Room, SEC 3140
- Associate Chaplain's Office, SEC 3147
- Campus Engagement, SEC 3155-3157
- Residence Life, SEC 3158-3160, & 3166
- WLC/Tutoring, SEC 3161-3162, & 3164
San Antonio Museum Exhibitions
University employees receive free admission to the McNay Art Museum and the San Antonio Museum of Art with their valid UIW ID. Additional fees may apply to exhibitions. For info, contact (210) 829-6019.
- Groovy: A Psychedelic Summer, through Aug. 27 at the McNay Art Museum
- The Magic of Clay and Fire: Japanese Contemporary Ceramics, through Fall 2017 at the San Antonio Museum of Art
- Heaven and Hell: Salvation and Retribution in Pure Land Buddhism, through Sept. 10 at the San Antonio Museum of Art
- Rashaad Newsom: KNOT, through Jan. 5, 2018 at the McNay Art Museum
- UIW Becomes San Antonio's Newest Division I University
- Brian Wickstrom Named UIW Director of Athletics
- UIW Athletics Partners With Alamo City CryoTherapy
- UIW Women's Basketball Unveils High-Powered 2017-18 Schedule
- Nava's Equalizer Sends UIW to 3-3 Tie in Exhibition Action
Upcoming Home Games
Aug. 27: Women's Soccer vs. UTSA, Benson Stadium, 7 p.m.
Sept. 15 - Women's Soccer vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Benson Stadium, 7 p.m.
Sept. 22 - Men's Soccer vs. HBU, Benson Stadium, 7 p.m.
Sept. 26 - Volleyball vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, McDermott Convocation Center, 7 p.m.
Sept. 28 - Volleyball vs. McNeese, McDermott Convocation Center, 7 p.m.
Sept. 29 - Women's Soccer vs. Northwestern State, Benson Stadium, 7 p.m.
Sept. 30 - Volleyball vs. Nicholls, McDermott Convocation Center, 11 a.m.
Sept. 30 - Football vs. Abilene Christian, Benson Stadium, 6 p.m.
Oct. 1 - Women's Soccer vs. Central Arkansas, Benson Stadium, 1 p.m.
For ticket info, contact (210) 805-3000 or visit this link.
Dr. David Ortiz, director of the graduate support center, was the guest speaker at the Employee Wellness Lunch & Learn Wednesday, Aug. 16. Dr. Ortiz spoke on marathon and trail running. For information on future lunch and learns, contact email@example.com.
Full-Time Faculty Opening and Luncheon
UIW Provost Dr. Kathi Light will host the Full-time Faculty Fall Opening and Luncheon from 9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., Friday, Aug. 25, in the McCombs Center Rosenberg Sky Room. Please contact Itza Casanova at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information and to request dietary accommodations.
Part-Time Faculty Workshop
The Provost, EAP and The Center for Teaching & Learning will host the Part-Time Faculty Workshop from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 26, at the UIW School of Osteopathic Medicine campus (7615 Kennedy Hill, 78235). Receive UIW updates and meet representatives from UIW offices and services. Breakfast will be served, and multiple door prizes will be given. Click the following link to register. If you are full-time faculty and are attending this event to represent your discipline, please RSVP to email@example.com.
For Your Student
Federal Work-Study Fair
The Office of Career Services & Professional Development will host its Federal Work-Study Fair for current students from 12:30 - 3:30 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 31, on Dubuis Lawn (will move to the Student Engagement Center Concourse in the event of inclement weather). For info, contact Michelle McWilliams at (210) 829-3931 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit St. Anthony Catholic High School at www.sachs.org.
Visit Incarnate Word High School at www.incarnatewordhs.org.
Visit St. Anthony Catholic School at http://www.stanthonysa.org.
Visit St. Peter Prince of Apostles Catholic School at http://www.stpeterprince.org.
SEED: The Untold Story Film Screening
The Headwaters at Incarnate Word is hosting a screening of SEED: The Untold Story at 3 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 5, in the CHRISTUS Heritage Hall located at The Village at Incarnate Word. The film follows passionate seed keepers protecting our 12,000-year-old food legacy. For info, contact Pamela Ball at (210) 828-2224 or email@example.com.
Hike the Headwaters trails with Patty Leslie Pasztor from 9 - 11 a.m., Friday, Sept. 8, to learn how Native Americans and early settlers used plants for food, medicine, fiber, dyes and more. Patty will share stories about our trees, shrubs and wildflowers while providing some I.D. tips. The walk is limited to 12 people. Reservation required: HIWReservation@amormeus.org.
History of Peyote Pilgrimages through Headwaters
The Headwaters at Incarnate Word is hosting a nature walk from 9 - 10:30 a.m., Saturday, Sept. 9, through ancient indigenous routes leading through San Antonio to the sacred Peyote Gardens of South Texas. The walk is limited to 12 people. Reservation required: HIWReservation@amormeus.org.
Third Friday Birding
Come take a leisurely walk through the Headwaters Sanctuary with one of our birding specialists. This walk will take place at 8:30 a.m., Friday, Sept. 15. Anyone fascinated by the sights and sounds of birds is welcome. This is a great opportunity for beginning or intermediate birders to develop and improve their identification skills. Please wear close-toed shoes, long pants, and bring water. Binoculars will be available. Each walk is limited to 12 people. Please make a reservation at HIWReservation@amormeus.org.
Our thoughts and prayers go to:
- Dr. Diana Beckmann-Mendez (Miller School of Nursing & Health Professions Faculty) & family on the recent loss of her mother, Ardith K. Beckmann.
- Stephanie Burleson (BS '91) and Amanda Burleson Shaner (BSN '92) & their families on the recent loss of their mother, Barbara Anne Rutledge Burleson (IWHS '54).
- Venessa Avant (Adm. Assist. to the Dean, Alumni & Parent Relations) & family on the recent loss of her sister, Delores Jean Finley.
- Jana & Gary (UIW Board of Trustees) Henry & family on the recent loss of his mother, Billye Jo Henry.
- Dr. Veronica Martinez-Acosta (MS&E, Biology Faculty) & family on the recent loss of her father, Trinidad Martinez.
- Marie (MEd '85) and Ben (MS&E, Biology Faculty, MA '93) McPherson & family on the recent loss of his mother, Martha Bundy McPherson.
- Dr. Beth Senne-Duff (MS&E, Nutrition Faculty) & family on the recent loss of her mother, Nathine Montgomery Senne.
- Robert Villalobos & family on the recent loss of his wife, Mary Villalobos (BSN '97).
The University of the Incarnate Word provides reasonable accommodation with adequate notice. To request disability accommodation for events listed in this newsletter, visit www.uiw.edu/ada.