The Word E-News Archive
Photo of the Week
The UIW Jazz Band along with special guest, The U.S. Air Force Band of the West, celebrated San Antonio's Tricentennial with a unique performance at the University of the Incarnate Word on Thursday, May 3. Conducted by Jim Waller, Director of the UIW Jazz Ensemble, the U.S. Air Force Band of the West and the UIW Jazz Ensemble put on a performance to remember.
Mission and Ministry: Summer Mass Schedule
Our last 8 p.m. Mass for the Spring semester was celebrated on Sunday, May 6.
Masses will continue throughout the summer on Sundays at 10:30 a.m. in Our Lady's Chapel through August 19, 2018.
We will celebrate our annual Welcome Mass on Sunday, August 26. Due to limited seating in the Chapel of the Incarnate Word, two liturgies will be offered on this day:
- 10:30 AM (Chapel of the Incarnate Word)
- 10:45 AM (Our Lady's Chapel)
Our 8:00 p.m. Mass resumes in Our Lady's Chapel on Sunday, September 2, 2018.
Our Lady's Chapel Services
All are welcome.
- Noon Mass, Monday – Friday
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation - 11:30 a.m. Fridays or by appointment with Fr. Tom Dymowski, O.SS.T. at (210) 829-3131 or email@example.com.
2018 Commencement Schedule
- Friday, May 11: Baccalaureate Mass, 4 p.m., McDermott Convocation Center
- Friday, May 11: Optometry and Physical Therapy Degree Candidates Commencement, 7:30 p.m., McDermott Convocation Center
- Saturday, May 12: Pharmacy and Master of Biomedical Sciences Degree Candidates Commencement, 10 a.m., McDermott Convocation Center
- Saturday, May 12: Undergraduate, Graduate, and Doctoral Degree Candidates Commencement, 6 p.m., Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum
Tickets are not required for admission to the Baccalaureate Mass. Tickets are required for admission to all Commencement ceremony events. For more information on commencement, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (210) 829-6006.
Denise Doyle Farewell Party
Notre Dame Folk Choir Texas Tour
Students Remembering the Past and Creating the Future
UIW students' posters on Incarnate Word history and on Sustainability were showcased at the Institute of Texan Cultures, during the SA300 Commemorative Week, (May 1 - 6) in a Tricentennial exhibit entitled “Students Remembering the Past and Creating the Future.” Pictured below at the exhibit are UIW staff member, Armando Villarreal Jr., and UIW student Armando Villarreal, III.
Theatre Arts Honors Convocation
Dr. Kevin Vichcales, Dean of CHASS and Dr. Robert Ball, Chair of Theatre Arts celebrated the success of students at the 2018 Theatre Arts Honors Convocation. Pictured below alongside Dr. Vichcales and Dr. Ball, are Matthew Shavers, recipient of the George Burnette Award for Excellence in Technical Theatre, Michael Ciaramitaro, recipient of the Maureen Halligan Award for Excellence in Performance and Service to the Department of Theatre Arts, and Melanie Delgado, recipient of the Sr. Germaine Corbin Award for Academic Excellence and Leadership.
Vocal Colors II: Cardinal Chorale and Cardinal Singers
The Cardinal Chorale and Cardinal Singers presented "Vocal Colors II," a concert of choral music from different cultures, styles and languages, from Renaissance to contemporary pop on Sunday, May 6, 2018. The Cardinal Chorale and Cardinal Singers are under the direction of Professor William Gokelman.
Sandi J. Wolff Dissertation Defense
Sandi J. Wolff presented a public defense of her doctoral dissertation on Monday, May 7. The title of Sandi's dissertation is "Investigating the Effectiveness of a Community Leadership Program Based on the Experiences and Perceptions of Alumni Participants." Her dissertation committee was chaired by Dr. Stephanie Hartzell. Pictured left to right are Dr. Sara Jackson, Dr. Ann David, Sandi Wolff and Dr. Stephanie Hartzell.
TRiO Student Support Services Achievement Award Ceremony
On May 7, 2018 TRiO Student Support Services held its annual Achievement Award Ceremony in the Student Engagement Center Ballroom. The ceremony celebrated students who completed their first-year at UIW, Mentors, Grant Aid recipients, and Graduates. The TRiO team would like to thank the families, students, and administrators for joining us and making it a special event for the honored students. A very special thank you to student speaker Lorena Rangel and guest speaker Dr. Barbara Aranda-Naranjo for a resonating speech.
San Antonio Museum Exhibitions
University employees receive free admission to the McNay Art Museum and the San Antonio Museum of Art with their valid UIW ID. Additional fees may apply to exhibitions. For info, contact (210) 829-6019.
- San Antonio 1718 Art from Viceregal Mexico – Through May 13, 2018
- The Magic of Clay and Fire: Japanese Contemporary Ceramics Through Spring 2018
- Cities on Parade: 300 Years of European Festival Books – Through June 10, 2018
- Spain to San Antonio: Hispanic Culture on Stage – Through June 10, 2018
- Fragments of a Dream - Through September 9, 2018
HemisFair '68: San Antonio's World's Fair - Through July 29, 2018
100 Years of Printmaking in San Antonio: Bill Reily - Through July 1, 2018
Captain Seth Eastman's Journey with a Sketchbook: New Orleans and the Gulf - Through July 1, 2018
ARTMATTERS: Mi McNay es Su McNay - Through July 1, 2018
Corporate Cup Registration
Join team UIW for Corporate Cup 2018! UIW is a proud sponsor and host site of the San Antonio Sports Corporate Cup. Over 80 companies and thousands of employees come to UIW each summer and compete in a 13-event challenge modeled after a corporate Olympics competition.
San Antonio Sports Corporate Cup will be held on Saturday, June 2 from 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. Employees can represent Team UIW as a competitor, a volunteer, or a spectator. Families are always welcome to attend but cannot compete (except in the healthy walk). To learn more, visit uiw.edu/teamuiw.
Fiscal Year End Procedures
We are approaching the end of another budget year. In order to close out the 2017/2018 fiscal year, we request your cooperation in the areas displayed in this memorandum. Thank you in advance!
Benefits Open Enrollment
Benefits Open Enrollment runs through Friday, May 11. Everyone must enroll or waive benefits through Banner Self-Service via the myWord portal. For more info, visit the UIW open enrollment webpage or contact the Office of Human Resources at (210) 829-6019 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPORTANT TECHNOLOGY-RELATED CHANGES COMING JUNE 1, 2018
The following will take effect on JUNE 1, 2018 unless otherwise mentioned:
- Banner 9 is LIVE for all Banner users.
- Important: Banner 9 is ONLY accessible through the MyWord portal using your network/email account and password.
- New user interface
- Easier navigation
- Eliminates pesky java and browser problems
- Improved information security
- For Banner 9 online training resources and more information, click here.
- Forgot your password? No need to call the help desk. Reset it yourself now on MyWord.
- IMPORTANT: First time login to MyWord will require sign-up for the self-service password reset functionality. It's easy, harmless, and will be handy in the future!
- How? Just login after June 1 -or- for step-by-step instructions, click here.
- Stronger passwords will be enforced to improve security of institutional assets and employee digital services. Click her for more information.
- EMAIL – Spam Quarantine Digest is implemented.
- IMPORTANT: As a convenient tool to help you manage spam and not lose 'good' emails, a digest of spam categorized emails will be sent to your Inbox daily. You can quickly review and release emails to your Inbox, if desired.
- EMAIL - Retention Standard to be implemented September 30, 2018.
- IMPORTANT: Routine ‘sweeping' of UIW email boxes will occur per an established email retention standard. To ensure important business emails are retained, file them in the Archive folder.
- PLEASE read more to properly protect important emails here.
Quality Matters Online Course Design Workshop
The Online Course Design Workshop includes an overview of the QM Rubric and provides a framework for participants to design an online course plan. The IT staff and guest speakers will be on hand to help you integrate the QM Rubric and leverage the Blackboard LMS to deliver course materials to students. The workshop is open to faculty who plan to teach online within the next year. Topics for this session include:
• An overview of the QM Rubric
• Bloom's Taxonomy
• Writing measurable objectives
• Mashups and the Kaltura video repository
• Assignments, Safe Assign and the Plagiarism Checker
• Assessments and Respondus Lockdown Browser
• Application of collaborative tools.
This course is open to faculty who plan to teach online within the next year. The course is available Monday, May 14 through Thursday, May 24 from 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in Mabee Library Rm. 230. Seating is limited. Make your reservation here.
For Your Students
Now Hiring 2018 Orientation Leaders
- Alexander Crowned 2018 SLC Outdoor Long Jump Champion
- Cardinals Face Islanders in Final Road Series
- Angelica Wiggins Signs NLI; Joins Cardinals in 2018-2019
- Ruvalcaba Cruz Named to Mexican National Team
- UIW Celebrates Senior Day, Walks Off in Game 2 against Islanders
- Women's Basketball Signs Henry Twins to NLI
- Women's Soccer Announces Coaching Staff
- May 17 - Baseball vs. Sam Houston State - 6:30 p.m. (Sullivan Field)
- May 18 - Baseball vs. Sam Houston State - 2 p.m. (Sullivan Field)
- May 19 - Baseball vs. Sam Houston State (Senior Day) - 1 p.m. (Sullivan Field)
Our thoughts and prayers go to:
Johanna Atkinson Christiansen and James J. Atkinson & their families on the recent loss of their mother, Frieda Jeanette Ludwig Atkinson, BS '60, MEd '99.
Tracy Avery (BA '96, MBA '12) on the recent loss of her father; Estela Hollin-Avery (UIW Friend) & family on the recent loss of her husband, James Avery (UIW Friend).
Sheila Bliss & family on the recent loss of her husband, Raymond Bliss (UIW Former Faculty).
The family of and the Marianites of Holy Cross on the recent loss of Sr. Rita Marie Chauvin, MSC (MA '65).
Maria Garcia Ericson and Concepcion Garcia & their families on the recent loss of their sister, Juanita Garcia(BA '58).
The family of and the Benedictine Sisters on the recent loss of Sr. Lucille Hettie Goertz, OSB (BS '53).
The University of the Incarnate Word provides reasonable accommodation with adequate notice. To request disability accommodation for events listed in this newsletter, visit www.uiw.edu/ada.