The Word E-News Archive
UIW Unsung Hero
Meet Amy Destefano, UIW Associate Director of International Admissions and Recruitment. Amy was born in New Braunfels, TX and has worked at UIW for nine years. In that time, Amy is proudest of the work she has done to build the International Admissions Office and establish sponsored student programs to bring further diversity to the UIW community.
When asked what she loves most about UIW, Amy said, "I've always wanted to work with International students and learn about the various cultures around the world. UIW allows me to do both while making an impact on the lives of international students. Our international students bring the world to campus and allow me to be close to home while experiencing the world! Watching them grow into young adults, attending graduating, and being part of their home away from home is extremely rewarding."
Described as a "super hero" by Sheena Connell, Amy also has a hidden talent - she speaks German! She also loves cooking, enjoying the Hill Country, and hanging out with her "crazy" Catahoula dog, Emma.
Be sure to say hello (in English or German) to Amy next time you see her and give a big thanks for all she does to make UIW the university we all know and love!
Mission and Ministry: Summer Mass Schedule
Our last 8 p.m. Mass for the Spring semester was celebrated on Sunday, May 6.
Masses will continue throughout the summer on Sundays at 10:30 a.m. in Our Lady's Chapel through August 19, 2018.
We will celebrate our annual Welcome Mass on Sunday, August 26. Due to limited seating in the Chapel of the Incarnate Word, two liturgies will be offered on this day:
- 10:30 AM (Chapel of the Incarnate Word)
- 10:45 AM (Our Lady's Chapel)
Our 8:00 p.m. Mass resumes in Our Lady's Chapel on Sunday, September 2, 2018.
Our Lady's Chapel Services
All are welcome.
- Noon Mass, Monday – Friday
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation - 11:30 a.m. Fridays or by appointment with Fr. Tom Dymowski, O.SS.T. at (210) 829-3131 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please join us for a celebration honoring Sr. Sally Mitchell for her many years of service to the University of the Incarnate Word. The celebration will be held on Thursday, May 24 at 2 p.m. in the Mabee Library Special Collections Room. For more information, please contact Helen Lutz at email@example.com.
Notre Dame Folk Choir Texas Tour
Dr. Denise Doyle Farewell
Members of the UIW community gathered on Thursday, May 17 to thank Dr. Denise Doyle for her many years of service to the University of the Incarnate Word. Dr. Denise Doyle served as UIW Acting President in 2016-2017. Dr. Doyle, who has been at UIW since 1988, has also served UIW in a number of different roles, including provost and chancellor. She holds the Ph.D. in Canon Law from the University of Ottawa (Canada); the J.C.D. from St. Paul University (Canada); a J.D.L. (licensing degree) and a Master of Arts in Canon Law from St. Paul University; a Bachelor of Arts in Canon Law from St. Paul University; and a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from the University of Victoria (Canada).
UIW Board Chairman, Charles Lutz, and UIW President, Dr. Thomas Evans, both thanked Dr. Doyle for her many years of dedicated service.
Dr. Doyle looked on as UIW faculty and staff shared stories and memories about her time at UIW.
In honor of Dr. Doyle's service to UIW as president, Dr. Evans unveiled a framed portrait of her to be added alongside those of all other past UIW presidents.
Thank you for all you have done, Dr. Doyle. You will be missed!
Dr. Cyndi Porter, Vice President for Enrollment Services, and Heather Rodriguez, Dean of Admissions, met with Dr. Mordecai Brownlee, St. Philips College Vice President for Student Success to talk about exciting opportunities for collaboration between UIW and St. Philips College.
San Antonio Museum Exhibitions
University employees receive free admission to the McNay Art Museum and the San Antonio Museum of Art with their valid UIW ID. Additional fees may apply to exhibitions. For info, contact (210) 829-6019.
- The Magic of Clay and Fire: Japanese Contemporary Ceramics - Through Spring 2018
- Egyptian Animal Mummies: Science Explores an Ancient Religion - Through July 1, 2018
- Cities on Parade: 300 Years of European Festival Books – Through June 10, 2018
- Spain to San Antonio: Hispanic Culture on Stage – Through June 10, 2018
- Fragments of a Dream - Through September 9, 2018
HemisFair '68: San Antonio's World's Fair - Through July 29, 2018
100 Years of Printmaking in San Antonio: Bill Reily - Through July 1, 2018
Captain Seth Eastman's Journey with a Sketchbook: New Orleans and the Gulf - Through July 1, 2018
ARTMATTERS: Mi McNay es Su McNay - Through July 1, 2018
Corporate Cup Registration
Join team UIW for Corporate Cup 2018! UIW is a proud sponsor and host site of the San Antonio Sports Corporate Cup. Over 80 companies and thousands of employees come to UIW each summer and compete in a 13-event challenge modeled after a corporate Olympics competition.
San Antonio Sports Corporate Cup will be held on Saturday, June 2 from 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. Employees can represent Team UIW as a competitor, a volunteer, or a spectator. Families are always welcome to attend but cannot compete (except in the healthy walk). To learn more, visit uiw.edu/teamuiw.
Fiscal Year End Procedures
We are approaching the end of another budget year. In order to close out the 2017/2018 fiscal year, we request your cooperation in the areas displayed in this memorandum. Thank you in advance!
IMPORTANT TECHNOLOGY-RELATED CHANGES COMING JUNE 1, 2018
The following will take effect on JUNE 1, 2018 unless otherwise mentioned:
- Banner 9 is LIVE for all Banner users.
- Important: Banner 9 is ONLY accessible through the MyWord portal using your network/email account and password.
- New user interface
- Easier navigation
- Eliminates pesky java and browser problems
- Improved information security
- For Banner 9 online training resources and more information, click here.
- Forgot your password? No need to call the help desk. Reset it yourself now on MyWord.
- IMPORTANT: First time login to MyWord will require sign-up for the self-service password reset functionality. It's easy, harmless, and will be handy in the future!
- How? Just login after June 1 -or- for step-by-step instructions, click here.
- Stronger passwords will be enforced to improve security of institutional assets and employee digital services. Click her for more information.
- EMAIL – Spam Quarantine Digest is implemented.
- IMPORTANT: As a convenient tool to help you manage spam and not lose 'good' emails, a digest of spam categorized emails will be sent to your Inbox daily. You can quickly review and release emails to your Inbox, if desired.
- EMAIL - Retention Standard to be implemented September 30, 2018.
- IMPORTANT: Routine ‘sweeping' of UIW email boxes will occur per an established email retention standard. To ensure important business emails are retained, file them in the Archive folder.
- PLEASE read more to properly protect important emails here.
- May 17 - Baseball vs. Sam Houston State - 6:30 p.m. (Sullivan Field)
- May 18 - Baseball vs. Sam Houston State - 2 p.m. (Sullivan Field)
- May 19 - Baseball vs. Sam Houston State (Senior Day) - 1 p.m. (Sullivan Field)
Our thoughts and prayers go to:
Louise M. Albus and Monica Albus Macha and their families on the recent loss of their sister, Alice T. Albus (BSN '54).
Hilda Guajardo Duncan (BS '54) & family on the recent loss of her husband, Lloyd Ray Duncan.
Her family, the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, and the entire UIW community on the recent loss of Sr. Tricia Freeman, CCVI (BS '68).
Debbie Richardson, Kay Stubbs and Mike Lacy & their families on the recent loss of their mother, Dolores Marie Carle Lacy (ALSR '53).
Raymond (UIW Paint Supervisor) and Sylvia Leon & family on the recent loss of her mother, Mary G. Rodriguez.
The University of the Incarnate Word provides reasonable accommodation with adequate notice. To request disability accommodation for events listed in this newsletter, visit www.uiw.edu/ada.