The Word E-News Archive
Photo of the Week
Our Lady's Chapel Services
All are welcome.
- Noon Mass, Monday – Friday
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation, 11:30 a.m. Fridays or by appointment with Fr. Tom Dymowski, O.SS.T. at
(210) 829-3131 or email@example.com.
It is with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of Louis "Papa" Agnese Sr. Mr. Agnese passed away on Wednesday, Sept. 12 in New York at the age of 104. Papa was an important part of our community for many years and even celebrated his birthday with us every December. Please keep the Agnese Family in your prayers during this very difficult time.
Services are as follows:
Sun., Sept. 16, 2 – 4pm and 7 – 9pm
Branch Funeral Home 190 East Main St.
Smithtown, NY 11787
Mon. Sept. 17, 9:45 am
St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church
280 E. Main St.
Smithtown, NY 11787
Join fellow UIW employees for a delicious lunch and turn in your employee campaign pledge form for a chance to win awesome prizes! The employee campaign kickoff party will be held on Wednesday, September 19 from noon – 1 p.m. on the Brackenridge Villa front lawn. If you won't be on main campus, please join us for one of the following kickoff parties at other UIW locations:
- Feik School of Pharmacy – Sept. 18 / 12:30 p.m. / Room 450
- Rosenberg School of Optometry - Sept. 20 / 8:30 a.m. / Room 301
- School of Osteopathic Medicine - Sept. 20 / 3 p.m. / Room A142
- School of Professional Studies - Sept. 21 / 8:30 a.m. / SACHS Lunchroom
- Bowden Eye Care and Health Center - Sept. 21 / 9 a.m. / Room 330
- School of Physical Therapy - Sept. 21 / 11 a.m. / Faculty Lounge
For more information, please contact Ana Bribiesca Hoff at (210) 829-6075 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hispanic Heritage Month Events
Fall Fashion Show
Incarnate Word Gala and Golf Tournament
Dining in the Dark
9-11 Ecumenical Prayer Service
The Office of University Mission & Ministry, the Interfaith Council, and the Student Interfaith Organization hosted a prayer service in remembrance of September 11, 2001. Prayers were said for our nation, for the families of those who died, and our UIW first responders.
Keeping the Promise: The Spirit of UIW
On Wednesday, September 12, former UIW Chancellor and former leader of the Incarnate Word Sisters, Sr. Helena Monahan, delivered a lecture entitled, Keeping the Promise: The Spirit of UIW. She discussed UIW's Mission and celebrated the many ways university leadership has upheld the true spirit of UIW.
Remembering Sr. Dot's Visions, Collaborating and Creating for the Future
In the fifth year of the Ettling Center for Civic Leadership and Sustainability and for the fourth anniversary of Sister Dorothy Ettling's death, the Ettling Center presented: Remembering Sr. Dot's Visions, Collaborating and Creating for the Future on Wednesday, September 12. The UIW community joined a conversation with colleagues who knew her through the years (Dr. Sherry Herbers, Sr. Helena Monahan, Dr. Lisa Uribe, Dr. Kevin Vichcales) and today's Ettling Center staff (Dr. Ric Gonzalez, Director, Yesenia Caloca, Bobby San Martin, and Teofilo Reyes) moderated by Sr. Martha Ann Kirk.
Anthony Graves Lecture
The College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences Distinguished Speakers Series hosted Anthony Graves, an exonerated Texas Death Row prisoner and author of Infinite Hope: How Wrongful Conviction, Solitary Confinement, and 12 Years on Death Row Failed to Kill My Soul. Graves talked about his journey, criminal justice reform, and how he remained strong despite his wrongful conviction. After his lecture, Graves spent time signing copies of his book for attendees.
San Antonio Museum Exhibitions
University employees receive free admission to the McNay Art Museum and the San Antonio Museum of Art with their valid UIW ID. Additional fees may apply to exhibitions. For information about UIW employee discounts, contact (210) 829-6019.
- Marilyn Lanfear: Material Memory - Through November 11, 2018
Spain: 500 Years of Spanish Painting from the Museums of Madrid, A Tricentennial Exhibition - Through September 16, 2018
Dario Robleto: Ancient Beacons Long for Notice - Through September 23, 2018
Spotlight: San Antonio's K-12 Artists Embrace Georgia O'Keeffe - Through November 4, 2018
- Captain Seth Eastman's Journeys with a Sketchbook: The Trip to San Antonio - Through September 30, 2018
For the most up to date information regarding the inclement weather expected this weekend, please visit: uiw.edu/emergency/
Parking for UIW Football
UIW Athletics is hosting UIW Football's Home Opener on September 15, 2018 (6:00 PM Kickoff). The following parking areas and roadways will be closed for all home football events. Parking areas will be closed from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Any vehicles remaining in these areas are subject to being towed and impounded at the owner/operator's expense.
- Parking area between the tennis courts and football field – closed
- Parking areas between the tennis courts and natatorium – closed
- Parking around the natatorium – closed
- All parking areas around the softball and baseball fields – closed
- The small lot next to Agnese/Sosa (with the President's Canopy parking) – closed
Some campus roadways will be closed on game day.
- The roadway under the football bleachers will be closed from 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- The roadway from Avoca to the McDermott Center will be closed from 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- The roadway between the San Antonio River Bridge and the McDermott Center will be closed from noon – 10 p.m. This means no thru traffic between main campus and upper campus.
Thank you for your cooperation.
To learn the challenging material in our classes, students need to grapple personally with it. Short, informal writing tasks are one way to help students master the most important ideas from a class meeting. Participants in this Informal Writing training session will learn several short writing tasks that can be used in class, as well as efficient ways of responding to that writing. The first ten faculty members to register and attend each session will receive a $100 stipend. Two sessions will be held – one on Monday, September 17 at noon and one on Tuesday, September 18 at 8 a.m. – in AD 212. Register here.
Instructional Technology: OneNote
OneNote is your digital notebook for capturing and organizing everything across your devices. Jot down your ideas, keep track of classroom and meeting notes, save clips from the web, or make a to-do list, as well as draw and sketch your ideas. Learn more about One Note on Wednesday, September 19 in AD 310 from noon – 1 p.m. Click here to register. For more information, please contact Terry Peak at email@example.com.
- UIW to face Iowa State on Dec. 1
- Women's golf finishes ninth in Utah
- Men's golf finishes fifth in New Orleans
- Football opens home slate against Stephen F. Austin
- Women's soccer falls to UTSA
- Men's soccer falls to ORU
Cardinal Football Season Tickets Now Available
Another football season is here, and it promises to be an exciting one with new head football coach Eric Morris. Coach Morris has put together a great staff and is bringing an exciting style of offense to the program.
Each faculty/staff member receives one free general admission ticket by swiping their ID at the entrance, and additional season tickets can be purchased for as little as $37.50. Reserved seats are also available for just $75 for faculty/staff. With payroll deduction available, purchasing season tickets has never been easier.
Thank you for the support you have given our football program over the past nine years. We look forward to seeing you and your families at many games this season. Buy your season tickets early and be part of the excitement.
Fall Hitting Academy
To register, please contact Coach Luevanos at CardinalBaseball@uiwtx.edu.
Fall Campus Dining Hours
Faculty and Staff Meal Plans
The University of the Incarnate Word provides reasonable accommodation with adequate notice. To request disability accommodation for events listed in this newsletter, visit www.uiw.edu/ada.