The Word E-News Archive
The University of the Incarnate Word (UIW) has been awarded a 2018 Top Workplaces honor by The San Antonio Express-News. The list is based solely on employee feedback measuring several aspects of workplace culture, including alignment, execution, and connection, just to name a few. Thank you to all employees who make UIW a wonderful place to be for all. In the video above, UIW employee, Itza Casanova, highlights some of the many reasons UIW is truly a top workplace.
Our Lady's Chapel Services
All are welcome.
- Noon Mass, Monday – Friday
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation, 11:30 a.m. Fridays or by appointment with Fr. Tom Dymowski, O.SS.T. at
(210) 829-3131 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our thoughts and prayers go to:
- Her family and the Marianites of Holy Cross on the recent loss of Sr. Elizabeth Laborie, MSC (MA '67).
- The family of Pattye M. Lawrence (BSN '77) on her recent death.
- Christopher Liberda and Cherie Ashwander on the recent loss of their mother, Carolyn Liberda (ALND '56).
- The family of Nelda G. Montalvo (IWHS '50) on her recent death.
- Raymond Leon, his wife Sylvia, and family as they mourn the loss of Sylvia's dear father, Jose Jaime G. Rodriguez. Raymond Leon has served UIW as the paint supervisor for 25 years. Please keep Raymond, Sylvia, and their family in your prayers.
- Melinda Wright, venue manager for the Department of Music, is mourning the loss of her grandfather, Charles Wright Jr. Services were held in Coatesville, Pennsylvania on Saturday, October 13, 2018. For more information, click here. Please keep Melinda and her family in your prayers during this difficult time.
TRiO's Cup Runneth Over Drive
Preparing a Federal Grant Application
Quijotes of San Antonio 2nd Annual Fundraising Dinner & Dance
UIW Retirement Week
Join UIW President, Dr. Tom Evans at a townhall next week to learn more about enrollment, financial outlook and strategic planning processes, including campus master planning. All members of our community are invited to attend a session, ask questions and provide feedback, with specific emphasis on the strategic vision and priorities and our way forward. After each meeting, attendees are invited to a post-event reception.
For those not able to attend, the Office of Communications and Brand Marketing will be working with media services to ensure important information from a Town Hall meeting will be available for viewing following the event. Please see the schedule below and make plans to attend a Town Hall meeting that best fits your schedule.
Town Hall Meetings:
- Tuesday, Oct. 23
School of Osteopathic Medicine, 3 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 24
Rosenberg School of Optometry, 12 p.m.
School of Physical Therapy, 3 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 26
Feik School of Pharmacy, 12 p.m.
Broadway Campus, 2:15 p.m.
UIW ROTC 2018 Army Ten Miler Team
The UIW Army Ten Miler (ATM) team, led by CDT Aneya Torres and CDT Eric Wages, culminated their intense 6 week training plan with the completion of the ATM race in Washington, D.C on Sunday, Oct. 7. The team used CDT Torres' prior experience cross country experience to build a training plan that combined endurance/distance training, speed/interval training, and upper body/core training, leading to a successful race. The team also had the opportunity to tour the nation's capitol over the long weekend, to include a Capital Tour. The team logged over 50 miles walking through the city and running the race!
Light the Way Display Board Contest
Human Resources hosted New Employee Orientation on Tuesday, Oct. 16 and would like to welcome these new Cardinals to the nest!
From left to right: Mary Jo Bilicek, Research Compliance Coordinator, Luis Gonzalez, University Police, Brittany Sharnsky, Development Associate.
Rosenberg School of Optometry: Pink Out Day
Get Your Flu Shot!
Why is it important to get a flu vaccine every year? Flu viruses are constantly changing, so flu vaccines may be updated from one season to the next to protect against the viruses that research suggests will be common during the upcoming flu season. Your protection from a flu vaccine declines over time. Yearly vaccination is needed for the best protection! Come get your flu vaccine at the main campus health clinic now through Dec. 20! With insurance, there is absolutely no cost. No insurance? Don't worry! You can still get your flu shot for $25. For more information, please contact Yolanda Salazar at (210) 829-6017 or email@example.com.
Dr. Evans and his family aren't taking chances when it comes to the flu this year! They're protecting themselves against the virus and are encouraging you to do the same!
San Antonio Museum Exhibitions
University employees receive free admission to the McNay Art Museum and the San Antonio Museum of Art with their valid UIW ID. Additional fees may apply to exhibitions. For information about UIW employee discounts, contact (210) 829-6019.
- Marilyn Lanfear: Material Memory - Through November 11, 2018
- Harry Bertoia: Sculptor and Modernist Designer - Through March 31, 2019
- Spotlight: San Antonio's K-12 Artists Embrace Georgia O'Keeffe - Through November 4, 2018
- Mel Casas: Human - Through January 6, 2019
Picturing Latin America - Through January 6, 2018
AT&T Lobby: Teresita Fernandez - Through April 18, 2019
A Message from Dr. Cyndi Porter, Vice President of Enrollment Services
Starting October 29, the offices of Admissions, Advising, Residence Life, Veterans Affairs, Financial Aid, Registrar and Business Offices will be open from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. during the week (Monday - Friday). Beginning Saturday, Nov. 3, these offices will be open the first Saturday of each month from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. These changes have been made to better serve all of UIW's populations.
UIW Athletics Coaches Show
Hear from football head coach Eric Morris, volleyball head coach Samantha Dabbs, men's soccer head coach Chris Fidler, women's soccer head coach Emma Wright-Cates, and men's and women's cross country head coach Dr. Derek Riedel on the inaugural UIW Athletics Coaches Show. Follow UIW Athletics on YouTube to see the Coaches Show and more!
UIW Athletics implements new bag check policy
To enhance existing security measures and expedite entry at Gayle and Tom Benson Stadium, a new bag check policy has been implemented that regulates the size and type of bags that may be carried into the facility.
The back check policy will be enforced at all home events, including Saturday's Taco Cabana Hispanic Heritage Football Game against Southeastern Louisiana.
- Clear, plastic bags that do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12"
- One-gallon, clear, resealable plastic storage bags
- Small clutch bags or purses that do not exceed 4.5" x 6.5"
- Diaper bags, camera or binocular cases, seat cushions, seatbacks
Each person is allowed one large clear bag and one small clutch.
Bags subject to further inspection:
- Non-clear purses, backpacks, fanny packs, reusable grocery totes, printed pattern plastic bags, cinch bags, duffle bags, large totes that do not meet size requirements
Please contact Zachary Carlton at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and with any questions.
Exceptions will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at designated areas. There is no check-in location for prohibited bags.
Parking Lot Closures – UIW Football Game
For Saturday, October 20, 2018, UIW v. McNeese (6 p.m. kickoff), the following parking areas and roadways will be closed. Parking areas will be closed from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., beginning Friday night. Any vehicles remaining in these areas are subject to being towed and impounded at the owner/operator's expense.
- Parking area between the tennis courts and football field – closed
- Parking areas between the tennis courts and natatorium – closed
- Parking around the natatorium – closed
- All parking areas around the softball and baseball fields – closed
- The small lot between the San Antonio River and Agnese/Sosa – closed
Some campus roadways will be closed on game day.
- The roadway under the football bleachers will be closed from 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- The roadway from Avoca to the McDermott Center will be closed from 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- The roadway between the San Antonio River Bridge and the McDermott Center will be closed from 12 p.m. – 10 p.m. This means no thru traffic between main campus and upper campus.
Thank you for your cooperation.
- Men's golf finishes seventh in Wimberly Intercollegiate
- Stowers paces women's golf team
- UIW earns critical road victory over McNeese
- Men's tennis finishes UTSA Cup
- Cardinals to compete at ITA Texas Women's Regional Championships
- Men's soccer hosts California Baptist
- Cardinals travel to ITA Texas Men's Regional Championships
- Cardinals face Ladyjacks
Fall Break Dining Hours
The University of the Incarnate Word provides reasonable accommodation with adequate notice. To request disability accommodation for events listed in this newsletter, visit www.uiw.edu/ada.