There are also many precautions one can take to protect themselves against crime:
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Always walk in well-lit areas. Walk with a buddy if possible.
- Be familiar with the call boxes located around campus.
- Always lock your doors. Never keep cars or dorm rooms unlocked.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Do not lend your keys to anyone or allow anyone access to your rooms if you will not be present.
- Never leave valuables unattended (i.e. purses, laptops, books, backpacks, etc.).
- Never give out personal information (i.e. social security numbers, student ID numbers, etc.).
- Do not carry large sums of money.
- Listen to your instincts; if something looks suspicious, avoid contact if at all possible. If you suspect you are being followed, head into a campus building, towards a group of people, or a well-lit area.
- Keep emergency phone numbers readily assessable.
- Report suspicious activity or hazardous conditions to the University Police Office.
All incidents should be reported to the UIW Police Department located on the 1st floor of Clement Hall. Incidents should be reported as soon as possible (ext. 6030).
Call Boxes and Video Help Stations
To enhance access to security personnel, call boxes and video help stations are placed around the University. For a complete list of call boxes and video help stations, Click here for a complete list of call boxes and video help stations.
Crime Prevention Programs
All brochures are in PDF format.
To schedule a crime prevention program, contact Corporal Jim Snow at 201-829-3906 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.