There are also many precautions one can take to protect themselves against crime:
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Always walk in well-lit areas. Walk with a buddy if possible.
- Be familiar with the call boxes located around campus.
- Always lock your doors. Never keep cars or dorm rooms unlocked.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Do not lend your keys to anyone or allow anyone access to your rooms if you will not be present.
- Never leave valuables unattended (i.e. purses, laptops, books, backpacks, etc.).
- Never give out personal information (i.e. social security numbers, student ID numbers, etc.).
- Do not carry large sums of money.
- Listen to your instincts; if something looks suspicious, avoid contact if at all possible. If you suspect you are being followed, head into a campus building, towards a group of people, or a well-lit area.
- Keep emergency phone numbers readily assessable.
- Report suspicious activity or hazardous conditions to the University Police Office.
All incidents should be reported to the UIW Police Department located on the 1st floor of Clement Hall. Incidents should be reported as soon as possible (ext. 6030).
To enhance access to security personnel, 16 call boxes are placed around the University. They can be located at the following areas on campus:
- 281 Bridge--East side of bridge near the ICC parking lot
- ICC--Westside entrance
- ICC--Eastside entrance
- Convocation Center--South exterior wall facing soccer/track field
- Nursing Building--in the elevator
- Wellness Center--outside near roadway mounted on brick wall
- Science Building--Second floor in the middle of the hallway
- Science Building--Third floor in the middle of the hallway
- Science Building--In the elevator
- Fine Arts Building-- in the elevator
- Administration Building--Back door in the courtyard
- Administration Building--In the elevator
- Dubuis Hall--Eastside door mounted on wall
- Clement Hall--In the lobby next to front desk
- Sand Volley Ball Court--Mounted on the southeast side of Gazebo
- Elevator beside Avoca D to new ICC building--Mounted on outside wall behind of elevator