UIW Cheer Tryout Information 2023-2024 Season
Interested in becoming a UIW Cheerleader?
Tryout for the Cheer Squad.
Deadline: Applications are due on Monday, June 5, 2023
Tryout Date: Saturday, June 10, 2023
Check in: 10:30 a.m.
Clinic 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Location: McDermott Convocation Center, 4301 Broadway, San Antonio, TX 78209 (Campus Map)
- You will be judged on jumps, tumbling, stunts and material that will be taught at the clinic
- You may be interviewed
Questions: Please email email@example.com to request an accommodation.
To Tryout, You Must:
- Be a current UIW student or an accepted incoming student for the Summer or Fall 2023 semester
- Complete a Cheer Tryout Application by June 5, 2023
- Complete a Tryout Waiver (PDF) (print the waiver and bring it to tryout)
- Have a current physical from your current physician
- Have one 4″ x 6″ photo (headshot), photos will not be returned and will be used for identification purposes only (no selfies).
- Pay a $40 application fee, payable by cash ONLY
What to Wear at the Tryout
- Women – Black sports bra, black appropriate shorts and cheer shoes required. Hair must be in a ponytail with a white bow (where applicable). No gum, no jewelry (unless medically required) and tattoos must be covered.
- Men – Black t-shirt, black shorts and tennis shoes required. No gum, no jewelry (unless medically required) and tattoos must be covered.
These are minimal expectations:
- Jumps: toe touch, front hurdlers, pikes, etc.
- Whip front hurdler into a double whip toe touch
- Tumbling: standing and running back handspring series, tucks, etc.
- Tucks highly preferred
- Standing 3 back handsprings
- Toe touch back handspring
- Round-off back handspring series
- Round-off tuck
- Cartwheel tuck
- Round-off back handspring back tuck
- Elite tumbling pass
- Group Stunting: lib variations, single leg full-twisting dismount, etc.
- Straight-up lib with leg variations (all-girl/small coed)
- Heel stretch full-down (all-girl/small coed)
- Full-up (all-girl/small coed)
- Toss hands into extension with a bump down (coed)
Practice for the Fall 2023 semester is the following:
- Tuesdays, 6 - 8 a.m.
- Thursdays, 6 - 8 a.m.
- Fridays, 7 - 9 a.m.
- Some Sundays will be required during the 2023-2024 school year
UIW will cover partial camp expenses, practice attire and uniforms. Other expenses are covered by fundraising.
An athletic scholarship may be awarded.