Dance Team Tryouts
Dance Team Tryouts Information 2023-2024 Season
Interested in becoming a UIW Dancer? Tryout for the Dance Team.
Deadline: Applications are due on Monday, June 5, 2023
Tryout Date: Saturday, June 10, 2023
- 5 p.m. - Check in begins
- 6 p.m. - Start time
Location: UIW Convocation Center, 4301 Broadway, San Antonio, TX 78209
- You will be judged on across the floor technique, leaps, turns, tricks and performance
- A dance combo will be taught
- You may be interviewed
Question: If you have any conflict regarding dates and times of tryouts please email firstname.lastname@example.org for accommodations.
To tryout, you must:
- Be a current UIW student or an accepted incoming student for the Summer or Fall 2023 semester.
- Completed a Dance Tryout Application.
- Completed a Tryout Waiver (pdf) (print and bring to tryout).
- Have a current physical or obtain a UIW Spirit Physical (pdf) (print form, have it filled out by a physician and bring to tryout).
- Have one 4″ x 6″ photo (head shot) and one 4″ x 6″ photo (full body shot). Photos will not be returned and will be used for identification purposes only (no selfies).
- Pay a $40 application fee, payable by cash
What to Wear:
- Women – Sports bra and black spanx or leggings. No gum, tattoos must be covered, no jewelry (unless medically required), hair down and curled. Tennis shoes and Jazz shoes are required.
- Men – Black t-shirt and black shorts. No gum, tattoos must be covered and no jewelry (unless medically required). Tennis shoes and jazz shoes are required.
These are minimal expectations.
- Leaps: switch leaps, calypso, grande jete a la second, turning disk, tilts
- Turns: doubles and triples, fouettes
- Kicks and Jumps: high kicks, toe touch/li>
- Tricks: head spring and kip ups
Video Submission Information
Video submission requests use this emailing address and must be received by Wednesday, June 7, 2023. All others must bring in the above.
Video Submission RequirementsSkills:
- Turning second
- Right, Left, Center Leap
- Leg extension
- Double & Tripple pirouette
- 3 fouettés into a double
- 45sec to 1min Jazz or Pom routine
- Must have a fouetté sequence, a double turn of some kind, and any kind of leap in the routine.
Practice for 2023 Fall semester are the following:
- Mondays, 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Wednesdays, 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Fridays, 6 a.m. to 8 a.m.
- Some Sundays will be required during the 2022-2023 school year
UIW will cover some camp expenses, practice attire and uniforms. Should the team compete, fundraising will be done to cover some expenses.
A scholarship of $750 per semester awarded in the Fall 2022. Any members who quit or are removed during or after the fall semester may be asked to return or pay for any issued attire/items.