The Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) is a system of interrelated surveys that collect institutional-level data from all U.S. postsecondary institutions that participate in Title IV federal financial aid programs (as required by the Higher Education Act of 1965).
The IPEDS survey collections cover five basic domains:
- Student demographics (enrollment, completions, student-to-faculty ratio)
- Institutional demographics (contact information, award levels, programs of study, cost of attendance)
- Student financial aid (counts by aid type, average amounts of aid, net price calculator)
- Student retention and graduation (first-year retention, 4-year/6-year/8-year graduation)
- Institutional resources (human and financial)