Students enrolled at full-time status*, will automatically be enrolled in the student health insurance plan, provided by Wellfleet. The insurance premium will be reflected on the student’s bill. Students have the option to waive** the annual premium by demonstrating comparable health insurance coverage***. International students are required to maintain the student health insurance plan, provided by Wellfleet.
Students who fail to submit an insurance waiver by the posted deadline (refer to academic calendar) will be responsible for the full premium.
* Full-time students (Undergraduate 12+ hours, Graduate 6+ hours, Professional Programs, and Doctoral 6+ hours) are defined as main campus students enrolled in the traditional 16-week semester. 8-week programs are not eligible. International students are automatically billed when enrolled in 1+ hours.
**Waiver is submitted online ONLY – refer to Health Insurance Waiver link below.
**Refer to Summary of Benefits Flyer to compare coverage.
Insurance Waiver Deadlines
The student health insurance waiver for the 2021-2022 academic year will open on June 1, 2021.
- Annual / Fall Semester: September 3, 2021
- Valid for Fall, Spring, and Summer
- Spring / Summer Semester: January 31, 2022
- Valid for Spring and Summer
- Only for new or transfer students
How to Waive Coverage
- Visit the Health Insurance Waiver webpage
- Select the Enroll Dependents or Waive section
- Press the Waive button to complete the waiver application
- Once you have completed the waiver application you will receive a confirmation page
- We recommend saving this for your records
- Your waiver will either be Approved or in a Pending status
Once you complete the waiver it will either be approved or in a pending status. Waivers in a pending status will receive notification of approval within a week. If your waiver has been denied, please review the denial reason for further instruction. Please allow 5-7 business days from notification of approval for the waiver to be applied to the student bill.
For additional assistance please contact our office or view our How to Waive Insurance Guide.
How to Enroll
Eligible students are automatically enrolled in the student health insurance in early August and early January for new students entering the spring term. If you submit a waiver before the deadline and it is approved you will be removed from the student health insurance. Please visit the UIW Wellfleet webpage for additional information and to access your account.
To enroll in coverage after the deadline due to a Qualifying Life Event (QLE)*, please visit Wellfleet's QLE Guide for further instruction.
*QLE includes but is not limited to: loss of previous health insurance, loss of spouse, or birth of a child.