Colleges and Schools
The formal names of the colleges and schools of the University of the Incarnate Word are presented as the full name capitalized with no ampersand in place of “and”:
- College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
- Dreeben School of Education
- Extended Academic Programs
- School of Professional Studies
- Feik School of Pharmacy
- H-E-B School of Business and Administration
- Ila Faye Miller School of Nursing and Health Professions
- Rosenberg School of Optometry
- Office of Research and Graduate Studies
- School of Mathematics, Science and Engineering
- School of Media and Design
- School of Osteopathic Medicine
- School of Physical Therapy
- University Preparatory Programs
After initial formal reference, acro- nyms may be used for the remainder of the text. Always follow the full, formal name with the acronym in parentheses upon first reference.
- College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences = CHASS
- Dreeben School of Education = DSE
- Extended Academic Programs = EAP
- Feik School of Pharmacy = FSOP
- H-E-B School of Business and Administration = HEBSBA
- Rosenberg School of Optometry = RSO
- Division of Extended Academic Programs = EAP
- School of Mathematics, Science and Engineering = MSE
- School of Media and Design = SMD
- School of Nursing and Health Professions = SNHP
- School of Osteopathic Medicine = SOM or UIW SOM
- School of Physical Therapy = SoPT
- School of Professional Studies = SPS
Acronyms may be used on first reference for internally distributed materials only.
Other acceptable acronyms include: (use with no periods; define at first use)
- Mexico - Centro Universitario Incarnate Word = CIW
- Incarnate Word High School = IWHS
- St. Anthony Catholic High School = SACHS
- English Language Services = ELS
- Reserve Officer Training Corps = ROTC
- Science & Mathematics Alliance for Recruiting & Retaining Teachers = SMARRT
- Learning Assistance Center = LAC
- Ettling Center for Civic Leadership & Sustainability = ECCLS
- Institute of World Cultures = IWC
When referring to departments and offices within the University, either the full name or shortened version are acceptable. Generally, capitalize only when using the full, proper name of the department. When referring to a department with shortened name, use lowercase; e.g.:
- Correct: Ms. Martin of the Office of Communications and Marketing will attend the meeting.
- Correct: Ms. Martin of communications and marketing will attend.
- Correct: She teaches in the Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice.
- Correct: He is a nursing student.