Concerned About a Student?

Faculty, Staff, and Administrators

We are grateful for your concern about a particular student (or students) and want to assist you in helping them. This can take several forms and is bound by certain relevant policies.


We can speak with you about how best to talk to the student of concern, inform you about mental health issues in general, and provide information about how the student can seek help.

Receive Information

A counselor can accept information from you about a student of concern, whether they are currently receiving services from Behavioral Health Services or are simply attending UIW. Typically, documentation of your concern will be made, which could be helpful to a client’s treatment, or in the event the student is not a client, can alert us to the concerns you have noted, should that student present for treatment in the future

If you would like to refer a student to our services, please visit the Behavioral Health main page and complete the referral form in the bottom right. If you'd like to send any documentation regarding students to Behavioral Health, then please send to the following email

Often We Cannot Share Information

Please note that we cannot share information with you about a client if the client is 18 years or older (this is TX law), unless the client has signed a release of information form explicitly stating they want the information shared with you. If a client is assessed to be of imminent risk of harm to themselves or others, counselors will consider if and with whom information needs to be shared to keep all parties safe.

The student must schedule the appointment themselves- As adults, students must make their own decision to seek mental health care and schedule their own appointments. As a concerned other, you can encourage the student to seek help and share information with them about how to get help. All currently enrolled UIW students can receive an initial consultation (the first appointment), which is a face-to-face or telepsych assessment of their concerns culminating in recommendations for a plan of treatment, and determine if counseling is what they need.

Behavioral Health Services is an Outpatient Treatment Facility

Please be aware that some student needs and concerns are beyond our resources, often because they require longer term and/or more intensive treatment. In those instances, we are committed to helping connect the student with appropriate resources in the community.

If you would like to speak with a professional counselor about a student of concern, please tell the Behavioral Health receptionist who will then arrange for you to speak to a counselor, either immediately or as soon as one becomes available (210) 832-5656.