Crisis Information and Resources
“I want to end my life. I have a plan, and I don’t know what to do.”
Call 911 or UIW Campus Police (210) 829-6030. The operator will get you the help you need. Typically, someone with training in mental health first aid will come to your location, talk to you, and help you with a plan that will keep you alive.
Go to the nearest Emergency Room, or a Behavioral Health Hospital nearest you (information provided below). One or more healthcare professionals will ask you several questions, and you may be admitted for inpatient treatment until you are feeling better. Many insurance policies will cover necessary emergency services obtained in most hospital emergency rooms. Going to the ER can be scary but try your best to let the doctors and nurses take care of you, and be honest about what you are experiencing.
Call CareConnect - 1 (888) 857-5462
Call Campus Police - (210) 829-6030
Call Bexar County Crisis - (210) 223-7233
San Antonio Behavioral Healthcare Hospital – (210) 541-5300
8550 Huebner Rd, San Antonio, TX 78240
Laurel Ridge Treatment Center – (210) 491-9400
17720 Corporate Woods Drive, San Antonio, TX 78259
Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant Behavioral Health – (210) 575-0500
8026 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 (inpatient)
8038 Wurzbach, San Antonio, TX 78229 (outpatient)
Common Reasons Students Call
- You want help with an immediate personal crisis.
- You are thinking about suicide.
- You are feeling distressed.
- You are in therapy or waiting to see a therapist, but need to talk with someone now.
Concerns About Others
- If you have concerns about a student, faculty, or staff member in the UIW Community contact the Office of Student Advocacy and Accountability or you can file an incident report.
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or need immediate support:
- During business hours (M-F, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.), call the Counseling Center at (210) 832-5656. You may be scheduled for a crisis consultation or connected to a counselor for an immediate assessment as needed.
- After business hours, call Care Connect at 1 (888) 857-5462. This is a 24/7 counseling service where you can speak with a licensed professional counselor about your concerns, and they will provide you a counseling session and insight on steps moving forward.
- If you are on campus, please contact University of the Incarnate Word Police at (210) 829-6030 or Health Services at (210) 829-6017 or notify a Resident Assistant.
- If you are currently under the care of a mental health professional: Follow the plan that you and your provider have established for managing crises and contact your provider in the manner as agreed upon.
- If someone is injured or is a serious threat to self or others, call 911 immediately or UIW police. You can ask for a CIT trained officer if the person you are concerned about his mental health issues. These are officers with special mental health training.*