Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM)
What is SAAM?
Even before its official declaration, Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) was about both awareness and prevention of sexual assault, harassment, and abuse. Looking at the history of the movement to end sexual violence, it’s clear why: It’s impossible to prevent an issue no one knows about, and it’s difficult to make people aware of a problem without providing a solution. The two work in tandem, and they always have.
UIW is committed to raising awareness and preventing sexual violence on our campus and in our community. We want every member of the community to never underestimate what a difference you can make in preventing violence, sexual harassment, and hateful conduct. It’s everyone’s duty to create safe spaces around us and support survivors by showing resistance to problematic behavior that continues cycles of violence and abuse. Even just remaining present as a witness is a symbol of pushback against violence and can prevent normalizing it.
As we recognize SAAM every April, join the Office of Title IX and other departments and offices across the UIW community in standing up against sexual assault and all forms of sexual misconduct.
2022 ScheduleFollow us on Instagram and Twitter for more information for each individual event!
- Monday, April 4, 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month Banner Signing Kickoff Event
- Student Engagement Center Concourse
- Wednesday, April 6, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Coffee and Consent (as part of the UIW Wellness Fair)
- Cervera Wellness Center
- Tuesday, April 12, 8 - 10 a.m.
- Do's and Donuts of Healthy Relationships
- Friendship Garden near Agnese/Sosa Residence Hall
- Tuesday, April 19, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Coffee and Consent
- Westgate Circle
- Thursday, April 21, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Let's Taco 'Bout Mental Health
- Around the Student Engagement Center
- Wednesday, April 27, All Day
- National Denim Day
- Wear your denim in support of survivors of sexual assault!