Timeline to set up a faculty-led program
|Twelve to Nine Months Before Departure||Meet with your Dean|
|After you meet with your Dean||
|Meet with a representative from the Study Abroad Office||Meet with the Study Abroad Office to discuss plans and procedures. To begin the planning process:
|Meet with the UIW Comptroller||
|Contact or meet with vendors||
|Create a database||
|Additional faculty||Recruit faculty and staff.|
|Eight to Six Months Before Departure||Advertise and Promote||
|Six to Four Months Before Departure||Passports||
|Four to Two Months Before Departure||Passports||Make sure that you have a copy of all students’ passports.|
|Visas||If a visa is needed, make sure that all students have applied for the visa and submitted all necessary documents.|
|Waivers and Forms||
|Two months to one month before departure||Pre-departure Orientation||Conduct a pre-departure orientation. The Study Abroad Office can assist you in providing a pre-departure orientation. Review the Faculty led Study Abroad Presentations regarding Best Practices and Safety.|
|Visit the Study Abroad office||
|Three days before departure||Final Confirmations||
Forms for Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Faculty-led Study Abroad Programs, as defined by the University of the Incarnate Word (UIW), are short-term (within a semester) academic based programs, which involve student's receiving academic credit for a course. The course includes a study abroad component or the professor may assign an alternate assignment equal to the value of the study abroad component, for those students who do not travel with the class. Courses which include a faculty-led study abroad component must be approved by the faculty's dean prior to offering the course.
- Faculty-led study abroad programs may encompass different details, locations, and academic objectives; however, all faculty are required to visit with their dean and obtain approval prior to creating and offering the course. In addition, a personal visit with an Int'l Affair's representative and/or the Study Abroad Office helps ensure that the faculty obtain the updated requirements and/or information before promoting the program to students and the UIW community. An Int'l Affair's representative and/or the Study Abroad Office will provide further details regarding the additional steps required. These two important preliminary steps will help ensure the successful implementation of a faculty-led study abroad program.
Please contact the Study Abroad Office (210) 805-5709 for additional information and planning advice.
Documents to be submitted to the Study Abroad Office before departure
- Faculty International Travel Approval Form
- Student Roster for Faculty-led Study Abroad
- Faculty-led Study Abroad Agreement (for students)
- Faculty Waiver and Release Agreement
- Photo copies of participant's passports (including faculty)
- Copy of flight itinerary
- Faculty led Study Abroad - Overview
- Faculty-led Study Abroad - Best Practices
- Faculty-led Study Abroad - Safety
International Workers' Compensation insurance for faculty
- Faculty International Health Insurance Card
- International Workers’ Compensation Insurance (Chubb) Information
- Faculty who travel, within a 90 day period and under an official university capacity, are automatically covered under the UIW International Workers' Compensation Insurance policy. As with any medical issue or emergency experienced while performing official university duties, the UIW Human Resource Department must be notified of the incident. Please contact the UIW Human Resource Department for additional information.
All faculty-led study abroad programs are required to obtain an initial quote for airfare from the University's official travel agent, Jeanne Shadle. After receiving a quote from Jeanne Shadle, faculty may obtain and compare quote(s) from an outside source.
If the outside quote is less expensive and the faculty would like to pursue that quote, they are required to visit with the Study Abroad Office or Dr. Javier Lozano, Director of Sister School Partnerships for further information.
Below is the contact information: