What is MAXQDA?
MAXQDA is a software program designed for qualitative data analysis (QDA), with the latest version being MAXQDA 24. It is widely used by researchers, academics, and professionals in various fields to analyze and interpret qualitative data, such as interviews, focus group discussions, surveys, documents, audio recordings, videos, and more.
The name "MAXQDA" stands for "MAX Qualitative Data Analysis," emphasizing its focus on assisting users in managing and analyzing qualitative data effectively. It has become a popular tool in the field of qualitative research due to its user-friendly interface and robust features that support a wide range of qualitative analysis methods. The software provides a range of powerful tools and features to help academics make sense of their data and identify patterns, themes, and insights with some key features being:
- Data Import: MAXQDA allows users to import various types of data, including text documents, multimedia files, and social media data.
- Coding and Categorization: Researchers can code (label) segments of data to categorize and organize them according to themes or topics.
- Text Analysis: The software offers advanced text analysis tools, such as word frequency analysis, word cloud visualization, and sentiment analysis.
- Multimedia Analysis: MAXQDA supports the analysis of audio and video data, making it useful for researchers working with qualitative data in various formats.
- Data Visualization: The software includes various visualization tools to help researchers interpret and present their findings graphically.
- Querying and Retrieval: MAXQDA enables users to conduct complex searches and queries within their data to uncover meaningful insights.
Where to use MAXQDA
Who can use MAXQDA and does it cost anything?
MAXQDA is available at no cost to all UIW faculty, staff, and students.
Do I need an account to use MAXQDA?
Which version of MAXQDA should I use (macOS, Windows, or vLab)?
MAXQDA is available to download for both Windows and macOS computers, including being available in the virtual computer lab (vLab). You must be connected to a UIW network (WiFi/wired) while using MAXQDA. If you are not connected to a UIW network while launching MAXQDA, the program will not work. Due to this requirement, the vLab version can be used from anywhere, but the downloadable versions can only be used while on site. Visit the appropriate tab on this page to learn how to access MAXQDA.
Can't make it to campus?
If you cannot access a UIW network, it's recommended to use MAXQDA through the virtual computer lab (vLab). The vLab is accessible from any device capable of running a web-browser with a working internet connection and is capable of transferring files in and out of its' virtual environment with a robust two-way file transfer feature.
Install MAXQDA on your Windows device. One of the great benefits of MAXQDA is the platform has a near-identical interface, regardless of the operating system it's used on. Whether it's Windows or macOS, MAXQDA users can focus on research and data rather than platform quirks and complications.
Install MAXQDA on your macOS device. One of the great benefits of MAXQDA is the platform has a near-identical interface, regardless of the operating system it's used on. Whether it's Windows or macOS, MAXQDA users can focus on research and data rather than platform quirks and complications.
The virtual computer lab (vLab) is accessible from nearly any device with a web browser and a working internet connection. With vLab, you do not install anything on your computer. Instead, vLab can be accessed through Cardinal Apps and once signed in, you can access many UIW apps and services, like MAXQDA, from a virtual desktop running in your web browser. MAXQDA in vLab is the entire application and is essentially the Windows version of the app.
Using MAXQDA in vLab is ideal if you:
- Don't want to fully install MAXQDA on your device.
- Cannot be on a UIW network while needing to use MAXQDA
- Want to pickup MAXQDA from anywhere
Use MAXQDA from anywhere in the UIW vLab:
Online Tutorials and Self Help
- Having Issues installing MAXQDA or using vLab?
- Contact the UIW Help Desk at (210) 829-2721 or at email@example.com
- Need help using MAXQDA?