Immigration Requirements

How to maintain your F-1 or J-1 status:

  • Register as a full-time student every Fall and Spring semester
  • Always keep your I-20 / DS-2019 valid
  • Extend I-20 / DS-2019 form before expiration date
  • Keep a valid Passport at all times
  • Work no more than 20 hours per week on-campus during the Fall and Spring semester.
  • Do NOT work Off-campus without authorization from the ISSS office.
  • Request a Travel Endorsement before leaving the U.S.
  • Report a change of address to ISSS within 10 days of moving.
  • Report any changes of degree Level, Major or minor, and source of Funding at ISSS
  • File taxes by April 15th

Additional issues that can negatively affect your immigration status

Is your I-20 currently updated? Your I-20 must always indicate current, correct information

  • Check your funding: Has your financial sponsor changed? Have you been awarded scholarships?
  • Check your academic information: Did you change degree level or change majors?
  • Submit a New I-20 Request form if there are changes to your funding or academic program.

Were you fully enrolled for the previous semester?

  • Did you receive any “I” (incomplete) or “N” (no credit assigned) grades last semester?
  • Did you receive a “W” (withdraw) or “AW” (administrative withdrawal), or drop any courses last semester?
  • Contact our office if any of these grades appear on your transcript.
Are your immigration documents current?
  • Will your I-20 or DS2019 expire in less than 3 months?
  • Will your passport expire in less than 6 months?
  • Have you lost your I-20 or DS 2019, passport, visa or I-94 card?
  • Updater your documents with our office before they expire.

Have you reported your new address in the US or abroad?

  • Have your recently moved to a new apartment or house in San Antonio?
  • Have you updated your new address with the Registrar's Office and our office
  • Accurately reporting your current address to our office is a requirement of your student immigration status. You must update our office within ten days of changing address as a part of this requirement. You must also report any changes to your foreign address.