Health Care and Insurance
UIW Health Center:
The Campus Health Center provides basic health services that focus on primary prevention care, health education and counseling, care for acute minor illnesses and injuries, and the maintenance of health records and assistance with the university insurance plan.
The Health Center is located on the ground level of the Agnese/Sosa parking garage. The entrance to is behind the Illa Faye Miller School of Nursing; there is a red awning over the entrance.
Contact:Phone - 210.829.6017
Office Hours: No appointments are necessary. Students are seen on a walk-in basis.
Fall and Spring Semester(s): Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Friday, 8a.m. - 5 p.m.;
Summer Hours: Mon - Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Cost: There is no fee for most services available to registered students.
UIW Counseling Services
Counseling Services are available to you, the students of the University of the Incarnate Word on an appointment basis. The ever challenging demands of growth, change, and the expanding horizons of learning are at times stressful, and often require antment of attitudes and coping skills. Two full-time professional counselors and doctoral interns are present on a daily basis to assist you. Personal counseling, couple issues, addiction, stress management and anxiety reduction are among the topics they can address. Referral sources are also available.
Telephone Number: (210) 832-5656
Location: Watson Center. 2nd floor Rm: 216
Hours: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday/ Fridays 8-5: By appointment
UIW Wellness Center
Wellness Center facilities include the Wellness Center, Ann Barshop Natatorium as well as the Intramural Sport Department and the Club Sport Department. UIW students and staff are eligible to compete in intramural sports, while club sports are generally reserved for UIW students.
Wellness Center Front Desk: (210) 805-5872
Wellness Center Office: (210) 805-5873
- Cardiovascular and aerobic exercise room
- Strength training room with machines, free weights and training bumpers plates
- 3 Racquetball courts
- Indoor regulation size basketball court
- Group Exercise classes
Keep your insurance card with you at all times:
In the event of a injury or illness, call University Police at 210-829-6030. The University of the Incarnate Word University Police are the designated first responders to emergency and medical situations .
If the incident/accident is:
- Emergency: Call 911 immediately and then call University Police at 829-6030. Once on the scene, University Police will determine what additional level of medical support is required and will assist in directing EMS to the specific location. University Police may contact Health Services to assist with first aid pending the 911 response.
- Remember, ambulance rides can cost $300 to $800 USD, and may not be covered the UIW Insurance. Only use an ambulance in the case of an emergency.
- Not an emergency:
- During business Hours: Call Health Services at 829-6017 or go to Health Services located at the first floor of the Agnese/Sosa Parking Garage across the rear entrance to the Nursing Building (door with a red canopy).
- During non-business hours: Call University Police. Once on the scene, University Police will determine what additional level of medical support is required and may call 911 or refer the student to seek care at an urgent care clinic or a primary care provider.
Students with UIW Health Insurance have the following Hospitals in their PPO (Preferred Provider Organization)
- Downtown Baptist Hospital
- North East Baptist Hospital 8811 Village Drive, (210) 297-2000
- North Central Baptist Hospital
- Methodist Healthcare System
- Metropolitan Methodist Hospital 7700 Floyd Curl Drive, (210) 575-4000
- Christus Santa Rosa Hospital 403 Treeline Park, (210) 294-8000
There are two Minor Emergency Clinics with-in miles of the University Campus that specialize in rapid minor emergency care
The Alamo Heights Minor Emergency Clinic located at 6496 North New Braunfels, open 24 hours
Telephone (210) 930-4500.
The Alamo City Medical Group River Walk Clinic is a 24 hour clinic located at 414 Navarro.
Telephone (210) 225-4810.
Both clinics accept a wide variety of health insurance, as well as the University's student health insurance.
Summary of Plan Benefits ( Full Brochure & Summary of Coverage)
- The policy maximum benefit is unlimited.
- The in-network out-of-pocket maximum is $6,350 per person and $12,700 family.
- Benefits are subject to a $100 deductible per person, per condition. The in-network deductible is waived when a referral for outside care is received from the student health service.
- Repatriation and medical evacuation benefits providing 24-hour assistance services are included.
- 24-hour nurse line program providing phone based health information is included.
- To maximize savings and reduce out-of-pocket expenses, select a PHCS by Multiplan in-network provider. These providers have agreed to provide services at discounted rates.
For assistance and questions about insurance benefits, ID cards, claim status, or claim processing:
Student Assurance Services, Inc. (SAS)
Post Office Box 196 Stillwater, MN 55082-0196
Phone: (800) 328-2739
Paul Fisher, PINNACLE STUDENT INSURANCE
4114 Pond Hill Road, Suite #100 Shavano Park, TX 78231
Preferred Provider Directory or Questions PHCS by MultiPlan Website: www.multiplan.com
SAS Plan Number: 42-61-0012-024-606-5
Requests to waive the UIW International Insurance fee will be considered based on one of the three categories listed in the Waiver Policy (attached). All categories must also meet the minimum requirements listed below the table of categories AND have equal coverage. So, for example if you have a comparable coverage but it does not fit into one of the categories, it will not qualify for a waiver.
To request a waiver, please schedule an appointment with ISSS.