Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Student Records

The University of the Incarnate Word maintains educational records for all current and former students who are officially enrolled. Student records at the University are subject to the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended. Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning compliance issues. The name and address of the appropriate office is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605

Detailed information can be found on the following U.S. Department of Education site.

Review of the Educational Record

Students have the right to inspect and review their educational record. All requests must be in writing to the Registrar and must identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the students of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed. The response from the University official will be within 45 days of the receipt of the request for access.

Educational Records on Campus

Educational Records on Campus are those records directly related to a student for the purpose of recording the educational endeavor of the student. They do not include law enforcement records, employment records, medical records, alumni records, or faculty advisor/instructor notes. Educational records may be stored in many mediums and are not limited to an individual file.

Amendment of the Educational Record

The student may request an amendment to the educational record if he or she believes it is inaccurate or misleading. The amendment of the educational record does not pertain to the grade assigned by the faculty. The student should write to the Registrar to request the amendment. The request must clearly identify the portion of the record s/he wants changed, specifying why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University does not amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

Directory Information

The University of the Incarnate Word will not disclose any personally identifiable information about students (except directory information listed below) without the written consent of the student.

Directory information at the University of the Incarnate Word has been identified as:

  • Student's name
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Address
  • Telephone listing
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Electronic mail address
  • Photograph
  • Degrees, honors, and awards received
  • Date and place of birth
  • Major field of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Grade level
  • The most recent educational agency or institution attended

Each student has the right to restrict the release of any or all of this information by submitting a written request to the Registrar's Office. School officials with legitimate educational interests may have access to educational records, without the students' consent, if the record is needed in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities. School officials are identified as: a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position, a person or company with whom the University has contracted, a person serving on the Board of Trustees, or a student serving on an official committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

Granting Access to Your Academic Records

Proxy Access: Students own their academic record, but there are times in which they may wish to grant access to certain aspects of their records to other, particularly in the case of a parent/guardian. In such cases, students have the ability to establish third parties as 'Proxy' in Banner Self-Service (under Proxy Management) to share their internal academic record. In doing this, students are authorizing view access to their unofficial academic transcript, including grades, their schedule of classes, account summary for charges and financial aid. Proxies will then receive email instructions on how to access a separate, secure online portal. The portal does require a log in to view the information pages to which the student has granted them access.

Learn more about Proxy Access

Form to restrict release of directory information: Request to Withhold Directory Information (PDF)

Form to reverse the action of withholding directory information: Request to Remove Confidential Status

Office of the Registrar

University of the Incarnate Word
4301 Broadway, CPO 304
San Antonio, TX 78209

Phone: (210) 829-6006
Fax: (210) 829-3922